Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WVC200 PTZ Camera

I'm moving this message from the linksysbycisco forum to myciscocommunity at the recommendation of another poster on the linksysbycisco forum.

It doesn't look like anyone has posted on the WVC200 PTZ Camera in over a year. I'm hoping there is a resolution to my problem:

After reading an article on what you need to crack a WPA/TKIP passphrase in under 30 seconds, I made the decision to upgrade my router's encryption to WPA2/AES. When I saw no option for WPA2 on the WVC200, I went online and after opening a cisco.com account to download the updates which is separate from my linksysbycisco.com account that I'm using for this forum???, I downloaded and updated my camera. Still no WPA2. Right now, I pulled it down from my little daughter's room where it was invaluable as a method to find out what went "BAM", and as a deterrent. (i.e. I'm watching you, so don't write on the walls!) Now it is just a piece of junk to me, sitting on my desk. I'm tempted to pull my outdoor Panasonic Camera and put it up in her room, but it's an outdoor camera and it was a real paint to get where I wanted it. I've thought about hard-wiring it, but then, why did I go and buy a wireless camera? Plus I hate crawling around in the attic fishing wire.

SINCE THIS IS A BASIC SECURITY CONCERN FOR ALL LINKSYS/CISCO CUSTOMERS WHO'S CAMERAS CAN BE TURNED AGAINST THEM BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF STANDARD 802.11G ENCRYPTION SUPPORT IN THE FORM OF WPA2, I WOULD HOPE THAT CISCO/LINKSYS WOULD FIX THIS RIGHT AWAY SO NO ONE GETS MURDERED OR HAS THEIR HOUSE ROBBED BECAUSE CISCO DID NOT PROVIDE BASIC SECURITY UPDATES AND A SOPHISTICATED THIEF HACKED INTO THEIR CAMERAS. (Opps, did I say that in all caps? Hello Computer...)

Given that I don't expect an immediate solution despite my somewhat ham-handed plea above, is there a NON-CISCO firmware update like they have for many of the linksys routers? Is there a beta update for this camera? As it is, I just have a hunk of plastic and metal on my desk taunting me. Any ideas would be appreciated.  I truly think this is a big security concern for Cisco/Linksys customers and should be addressed ASAP.

Thanks,

Jeff

4 REPLIES

Re: WVC200 PTZ Camera

WVC200 has been EOL and discontinued so not sure there is much we can do for that model any more..... 

We now offer the WVC210 in this space and that is supported in SMall Business Support Center at 1-866-606-1866.

Also the PVC2300 and WVC2300 and PVC300 which are worth looking at too.

What is Cisco's EOL policy?  I'm pretty sure I bought that camera in 2006 or 2007.  I'm used to business equipment EOL being 5 to 7 years from the date is was discontinued. I would expect no less from Cisco or Linksys. Since this is a security issue that could affect Cisco's customers, I would truly expect them to release an update.  This doesn't even begin to discuss the fact that WPA2 was released in 2004!!! It was in wide use by 2006.  To me, it seems like negligence on Cisco's part. It appears Cisco dragged their feet on implementing this security protocol until they could claim end of life. Now, people who trusted in the Linksys and Cisco name are left with perfectly functional products that can't be used where security is a concern. I trust that if they ever track a robbery or murder back to a savvy theif using Cisco/Linksys cameras against their owner, the cost of releasing a patch will pale in comparison to the publicity damage and any subsequent lawsuits. I have to say that I am very disappointed in Cisco if this is the final word on the matter.  If there is not further resolution, I will have to place this product on my Hall of Shame list.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Appreciate your concerns and understand what your saying.  No need for the 'hall of shame' :-)

The WVC210 is a far superior camera to the WVC200 so our thinking was moving customers to the new 210 should not be an issue.  WVC210 supports dual streams, better image sensor/lens, 2-way audio, WIFI certified, etc.   Also the new SVWMS16 (free monitoring application) doesnt support the WVC200, so a good motivation to buy the new one exists there too.

But I I went and searched for the official Cisco EOS/EOL announcement.   I found it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6918/ps9692/ps9944/ps9946/end_of_life_notice_c51-560292.html

In there is a table of key dates.

End of Phone Support:
HW

The last date to phone support as part of the product warranty. After this date, all phone support services for the product are available with additional charges or support fees. In some cases, support may not be available.

December 25, 2010

Last Ship Date:
HW

The last-possible ship date that can be requested of Cisco and/or its contract manufacturers. Actual ship date is dependent on lead time.

March 25, 2010

Last Date of Support:
HW

The last expected date to receive service and support for the product as entitled by warranty terms and conditions **. After this date, all support services for the product are unavailable, and the product becomes obsolete. Warranty duration is based on product ship dates; refer to warranty terms and conditions for details.

December 31, 2012

So the dates are a big more gracious than I initially assumned.   I am happy to provide this too you and hope this helps.

Steve DiStefano

Cisco Systems Engineer

US Field Channel Sales

Hi Jeff,

I have an idea for your home router to overcome this issue.

Set the router back to the Security that the camera supports or even leave it open, but set MAC ADDRESS FILTERING on the routers wireless setup.  This way, only devices (cameras, PCs, etc) that have their MAC entered in the routers allowed list, get on the wireless.  I used to run this way for years and found it most secure.

Steve DiStefano

Views
Helpful
Replies