Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WVC210 reboots/restarts every 3 minutes

Just received the camera.  Initial setup went fine and I got a good picture.  About 15 minutes later as I configured the wireless, things went south.

First I noticed I was not getting a picture.  I tried every browser I have installed (IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari) and nothing.  Only Firefox displayed a message: 'Video for other Platform/OS'.  All other camera functionality worked from every browser, just no picture.

I then noticed the camera was restarting every few minutes.  I timed it and it was exactly 3 minutes 13 seconds between restarts.  I tried everything I could think of: unplugging/replugging, reinstalling firmware, rolling it back to firmware v1.1.0, the reset button on the bottom of the camera, restore factory defaults, set resolution to 'very low,' change video format (IE only).  Nothing worked.

When the camera is not connected to my network (either wired or wireless), the camera does not reboot.  I'm 99% certain my network is not the problem, unless it's a compatibility thing.  I have a Netgear router (N600) that works fine with everything else, including a couple of netcams from another company.

I set up the email functionality and enabled motion detection, but I'm not getting any emails (other than the initial test email).

Any suggestions appreciated before I RMA the camera back to newegg for a replacement.

Thanks.

13 REPLIES

One correction...the audio does not appear to work either (assuming I have it configured properly).

Gold

Hi Jon,

Thank you for posting. Please try/check the following:

1. Give the camera a static IP address. If it already has one, try changing it (i.e. from 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.210)
  2. Make sure the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and the gateway is the IP address of your router.
  3. Check if the time is correct on the camera. If not, set it manually.
  4. Try connecting without any or with different wireless security. (i.e. change from WEP to WPA2-Personal)
  5. Try connecting the camera to a different router, maybe a neighbor or friend's router and see if it has the same issue.

This is an interesting issue that I have never seen before. I will greatly appreciate any troubleshooting you are willing to perform and hopefully we can find the problem and a solution. Am I understanding correctly that the issue started only after you configured the wireless settings?

mpyhala,

thanks for the fast reply.

1. When the problem first happened, I had already set a fixed IP address.  I just set one again as requested.

2. It is.

3. Time has always been correct.  It's set up to pull from an NTP server.

4. Changed from WPA2-Personal to WEP.

5. I can pull out my previous router (Belkin N), but that will take awhile.  (Just checked my neighbors' networks and they are all secure.)

None of the changes gave me a picture, and the unit is still resetting every 3+ minutes.

I can try one or two more things tonight if you like.  The router change will have to wait a day.  I'm in the US mountain time zone and it's past my bed time.  I'll be out-of-pocket for about 16 hours, then I'll switch out the router.

I believe the issue happened when I was setting up the wireless settings.  It was just after that that I noticed the problems.  Could be just a coincidence.

Right after my last post, I got a poor quality picture for about 10 seconds, then it died again.  (I had a wireless connection at the time.)

Seems to me the camera is dying a slow death.

Silver

HI,

If the WVC210 is still within hardware/software support give us a call @ 1-866-606-1866 and the engineer will have to do some trouble shooting, once it's has been determined defective we can then process an rma for you.

Jasbryan

Thanks for the replies.

Here's the latest before I call support.

Started the camera up around 7:30 pm local time tonight wired into the router and it worked fine, with a good clear picture. Left it running and sometime between 30 minutes to 45 minutes later it went back into the reset every 3 minutes 13 seconds mode and no longer provided a picture.

I have not yet switched out the router, but that does not seem to be the issue.

Jason, I will call support to troubleshoot, but if it's not fixable, I may do the RMA thru newegg to be sure I am getting a new unit.

Gold

Jon,

What you are seeing is very unusual for the WVC210. It has been a very stable camera over several years and we just don't see issues like you are having. I would hate to see you get the camera replaced only to find that the new one does the same thing. Any extra troubleshooting you can do will help. I certainly think that changing the router is a good step to see if there is some compatibility issue or something. If the camera has the same behavior with the replacement router, I recommend that you pursue a replacement camera from the reseller.

If you need immediate troubleshooting assistance, please call support as Jason suggested.

Hooked it up to my Belkin router.  Same problems.  I'll call support in the morning.

Just to document, here's what happens.

When I first attach the camera to the router and attach the power cord, the camera boots up and works fine.

After operating for about 25 minutes, the picture starts to break up.  In another 3-4 minutes, the picture dies.  About six or seven minutes later, the camera restarts itself and continues to restart every 3 minutes 13 seconds.

Gold

Jon,

Any updates on this issue? Please let me know if you found a resolution through support or if you have returned the device already.

Called support.  They apparently hadn't heard of something like this and offered an RMA.  Instead I sent it back to newegg for a replacement.  Thanks again for your help.

Gold

Jon,

Thanks for the update. That was certainly an unusual issue. Please let us know if you need any assistance when you get the replacement.

I had exactly the same problem!

Tested and tried everything. No chance to get the cam working. Power on, booting, logging in, make some clicks in the web-interface... then again, the cam freezes and the web-interface doesn't load.

On monday I'll call the support to see what happend.

Reto

Reto,

Sorry to hear that.  Very frustrating.  I know I killed 8+ hours dealing with mine.  newegg sent me a replacement, which set up in a snap and is working fine.

As I said earlier, Cisco support offered to replace it after about 10 minutes on the phone.

One thing you might do before calling support is set up Internet access to the camera.  That way you can have the support guy get into the configuration page.  I thought of that halfway thru the call to support and by then it was too late to set it up.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content