cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WVC210 SMTP not working after upgrade

Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded my WVC210 to lastest firmware

Firmware Version:V1.1.0

After performing this my motion SMTP email doesnt work anymore and when I click on send test email it just tells my failed and nothing appears in log...

What has changed to stop this working?

Thanks

Brian

112 REPLIES
Silver

Re: WVC210 SMTP not working after upgrade

After you did the firmware upgrade did you do a factory reset of the camera and reload your configurations?  If not, do that and see if it works after that.  It is always best practice to do a factory reset of a device after giving it a firmware upgrade.

Hi David,

Tried what you recommended... I re-applied the new firmware and performed a factory reset to still no avail.

I think there is an issue with the new firmware.... as it worked in version 1.0.0 using my gmail account.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brian

Just found this on the MSN site, per this MSN is supporting smtp port 25:

http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=a485233f-206d-491e-941b-118e45a7cf1b

I have not tested this as the Camera I need to work on is 75 miles away.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Send and Receive Windows Live Hotmail emails from a Mail Client

7531 of 14889 people found this solution helpful.

This solution article describes how to set up your Windows Live  Hotmail POP3 account in an email client to send and receive emails.

Here’s the information to configure your account on your preferred e-mail client:

- POP3 Server: pop3.live.com (port 995
  - SMTP Server: smtp.live.com (port 25)  

Note: If port 25 has been blocked in your network or by your ISP, you can set SMTP port to 587 with TLS or SSL Encryption depending on the client in use

Please make sure to check the box that indicates that your outgoing server requires authentication (in most e-mail clients, this is not checked by default).
  - Username: your full e-mail address
  - Password: your Windows Live ID password

This article linked here: http://www.bowerwebsolutions.com/support/sending_email_optonline.htm contains an extensive list of providers and the smtp address to use with each provider. My provider is SBCGLOBAL but the working server address is: smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com and when I switched to this address and port 587 I have regained the ability to use the email function with out downgrading the bios on the camera.

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: THIS

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: THIS THREAD ABOVE THIS NOTE IS 3 YEARS OLD.

With that being said, this is the update to this thread.

The beta that was available 1.1.1.16, which allowed a work around for customer to use the cameras with GMAIL and other mail servers that require SSL authentication is no longer useful to the customer.

In Jan 2013 Gmail made a change to the required

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=180707

From Google Support Forums:

Messages with DKIM signatures use a key to sign messages. Messages signed with short keys can be easily spoofed (see http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/268267), so a message signed with a short key is no longer an indication that the message is properly authenticated. To best protect our users, Gmail will begin treating emails signed with less than 1024-bit keys as unsigned, starting in January 2013. We highly recommend that all senders using short keys switch to RSA keys that are at least 1024-bits long.

From my understanding, the WVC210 falls in this category, uses less than a 1024 bit key. That is why the beta firmware is no longer available. It will not resolve the issue anymore.

We can no longer support this issue with firmware updates since the devices are EOL/EOS.

Eric Moyers

Wireless and Surveillance Subject Matter Expert

Hi David,

I reverted back to firmware version 1.0.0 and everything is working, montion sensing and email alert.

However as soon as I upgrade to the latest firmware the SMTP part doesnt seem to work and I get a message when I try to send a test email.

Looks like the new firmware has a feature.

Thanks

Brian

Hi Men,

The WVC210 is not a SSL camera and therefore won't work with most mail providers like Yahoo and Gmail that require SSL.

I think this is what your facing, no?

The past firmware might have in fact had a 'back door' to somehow support this but it was found to be very unreliable so rather than have it half baked, we removed that back door.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Would Cisco envisage incorporating this back into future release but the proper way rather than a "back door".

I imagine there are alot of people out there with similar secured email accounts that would maybe like to use this feature...

I can only use firmware version 1.0.0 until maybe Cisco could easily add this back in....

Thanks

Brian

I think this is reasonable request, but I dont know any of the details of how this could be done, so i'll pass this along to the BU.

Steve

Thanks Steve

This is now on the feature request list.   The BU likes the idea too.  Cant commit here, of course.  Stay tuned.

How did you revert back to the original Firmware?

Hi,

I downloaded the factory firmware from the Cisco Web site v1.0.0 and then just used the firmware upgrade option and it manged to downgrade the firmware.

Thanks

Brian

Do you still have the bin file? Can you send it to me? I don't think it is on their website anymore and they won't give it to me for some reason.

Thank-You so much, I really appreciate it.

Doug

Cisco Employee

Any chance of re posting this

Any chance of re posting this original firmware either here or somewhere else? In in dire need of it, its the only firmware & can make work with gmail.

Thanks

Cisco Employee

We can't post firmware files on the community (legal rules and restrictions) but I did post the URL for the v1.0.0 firmware above. Thanks, --Stephanie

thanks for clarifying that 1.1 won't work with email providers that require ssl.  in the mean time, if i want to use motion detection, is there any other way to get the benefits of motion detection without email alerts (e.g., can the system generate a log?).   if not, is anyone aware of any email providers that don't require an ssl connection?  thanks!

Gold

My ISP provides me with up to ten email addresses that do not require SSL. If your ISP doesn't, maybe you have a friend that has one that does?

mpyhala,

who is your ISP?

Gold

Charter Communications. I have tested and successfully sent emails from the WVC210 to a gmail account using a Charter email address and the motion sensing feature.

Yes, you can have the camera FTP the motion detected video to a NSS2xxx or NSS3xxx (NAS).

Let me know if you need more info on this capability.

Steve D

Steve,

I don't have a NAS drive but I assume I could just FTP to a networked hard drive on a PC?  I don't have an SMTP server or FTP server - I am just running this on a small network with some PCs and laptops.

Thanks!

Hi,

Just wondering since I am using my UC520 with this camera is there a possibilty to port forward or some over clever method to use my gmail account with the WVC210 smtp config?

Thanks

Brian

Keep this thread alive! Here is hoping SMTP/SSL comes our way soon.

Regards,

Joe

Gold

pajoe1971 wrote:

Keep this thread alive! Here is hoping SMTP/SSL comes our way soon.

Regards,

Joe

Something we can all agree on. Your feedback is appreciated!

Hi Guys,

I tried to upgrade to the latest firmware and it seems the ssl/smtp feature still does not work...

Could you advise if this is the case?

Cheers

BR

The wvc210 is not a SSL camera and therefore it will not work will gmail and most other mail servers that use SSL.  In the past, pre-rebranding era….the camera ODM had a work around to somehow forward on the mail to a SSL server.  However, that method resulted into inconsistent results so we had this removed during rebranding.

So that would explain why SSL SMTP worked prior to SW upgrade.

Steve

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content