Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

WVC210 Video recording ends when personal laptop shuts down, despite using NAS (Network Attached Storage) device for recording location

Dear Cisco Partners,

I was advised by another Cisco colleague on this forum, that, I would need a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device, to be able to record videos, without interruption, even if my laptop/pc goes to sleep/shuts down or hibernates. I did buy a NAS Device (WD MyBook Live), to use for storing videos, streaming from the WVC210 camera.

I managed to complete the set-up and record the videos. However, I have the following problems:

1. I select the path to save the video file, manually, each time. When I press the "record" button (on the web interface of the camera), it asks me the path to record (the default is a drive on my laptop itselt, which i do not want. so i manually change this to the path of the NAS device). Once I do that, it works, but my question is, how can i do that, so the target drive (path) becomes default.

2. After the above, I start the recording, from the web interface. However, the moment, I put my laptop to "Sleep", or "Hibernate" or "Shutdown", the video recording ends! What do I need to do, in order to enable the camera to continue recording, to the NAS, even if my laptop goes to sleep. It was for this issue, that I posted last week, and was advised to buy a NAS, which I did. Now, the problem is still there. Could you please help?

3. There is a section under set-up page for WVC210, for SMB/CIFS recording. Does this have any impact on the above question. I do not understand, how/what is this set-up page used for. I suppose, it is related to simply the video recording, as noted above, and I tried the following set-up.

SMB/CIFS Server       : 192.168.1.1 (this is the address of the NAS device)

Upload Path               : \\Drivename\subfoldername

Login name               : xxx

Password                  : yyy

Is this correct? In any case, the problem on #2 (above) remains. When my laptop shuts down/sleeps, the video recording ends automatically.

4. Also, there is another section for FTP. What is this section for? The manuals do not provide detailed and user friendly explanation for average user. What is the purpose of this section? Is it related to video recording as above? Where can I find a user friendly guide for the camera, which explains each function, at a non-tech person level.

Thanks,

Yalin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

WVC210 Video recording ends when personal laptop shuts down, des

Yalin,

Ignore the password "changing". Devices do that to confuse anyone trying to guess the PW.

Try using "MYBOOKLIVE\Yalin\drakelive" instead of "\\MYBOOKLIVE\Yalin\drakelive").

7 REPLIES
Gold

Yalin,

Set up the SMB/CIFS Server similar to my screenshot below:

When you click Save, the camera will start recording to the NAS. It will not stop recording until you uncheck the "Enable SMB/CIFS Recording" box. If you are starting the recording from the main page where you view the video, it will stop recording when the PC is shut down.

Please reply and let us know if this helps you or if you need any further assistance.

Mpyhala,

Many thanks for this. Quick follow up on this:

1. When I do the above, where will the video file be recorder (I mean how do i determine the actual folder that it will be placed)... Is that still done from the main home/video page? According to your notes, it should not be the case.

2. The pssword above: is that for the NAS device?? Because you used the login name as WVC210.. Could you please clarify this?

3, In terms of when to start and stop:

When I want to start, I will click this "enable..." box, and click "save". and it will start.

When I want it to sopt, I will simply unclick... Correct?

Thanks.

Yalin

Gold

Yalin,

1. When I do the above, where will the video file be recorder (I mean how do i determine the actual folder that it will be placed)... Is that still done from the main home/video page? According to your notes, it should not be the case.

You will create a folder on your NAS for the video to be recorded. On the SMB/CIFS setup page, type the name of the folder on the NAS where you want the camera to send the recordings.

2. The pssword above: is that for the NAS device?? Because you used the login name as WVC210.. Could you please clarify this?

The login name "WVC210" came from my imagination. You will create the username and password on the NAS and give that user Read/Write access to the folder where the camera stores the video files. You can create a new user or use the default "Admin" account. Make sure that you type the username and password exactly the way it is on the NAS or the camera will not have access to the share.

3, In terms of when to start and stop:

When I want to start, I will click this "enable..." box, and click "save". and it will start.

When I want it to sopt, I will simply unclick... Correct?

Exactly! Please keep us updated on your progress.

Mpyhala,

Thanks for your guidance. I tried the above, but does not seem to work. Here is what is happening:

I put in the information, exactly as you explained above. I put the address of the NAS devide (192.168.2.4)... I also put in the drive name (which is "\\MYBOOKLIVE\Yalin\drakelive"). This is fine, however, there seems to be a problem with the next two fields:

I put in my username for the NAS device (the correct admin name, which I defined). And then, I put in the password for the NAS device. I tick the box (..timestamp..), and when I click save, I get a pop up which asks for the username and the password for the camera!!?? This is strange, because, I am already logged into the website for the camera (which is 192.168.2.210 - this is the fixed IP address, I set up earlier, and I'm already logged in..).

When I enter the username and pw into the pop up screen, and press ok, I go back to the SMB/CIFS page above and the password field gets updated with some new password ! The pw that I use for the NAS device is 13 characters,and the pw for the camera is 9 characters.

So, when I click "save" at the above steps (after following the steps you explained), i get the pop up asking for the camera username/pw, and click ok/save, which then takes me to the SMB/CIFS screen. And I can see the pw field is updated with a shorter password (9 characthers, which is clearly the pw that i use for the camera)... Somehow, my NAS pw is deleted from that field, and the camera pw is pasted there.. Not sure why...

Just to confirm, the camera can access the NAS device with no problem, if i use the "home" screen. I can record to the NAS device directly, but as explained, that does not help, as the recording ends, after I shut down the pc.

Bottomline, still not working... Waiting for your further feedback and support.

Thanks. Yalin

Gold

Yalin,

Ignore the password "changing". Devices do that to confuse anyone trying to guess the PW.

Try using "MYBOOKLIVE\Yalin\drakelive" instead of "\\MYBOOKLIVE\Yalin\drakelive").

Mpyhala,

Yes!! Finally. Now, I have indeed managed to continue recording, even if the PC is shut down. Thank you very much for your guidance.

Best

Yalin

Gold

Yalin,

You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback and let us know if you need anything else!

Views
Helpful
Replies