cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3com uplink to Cisco

MRP_Chris
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if there are specific port settings required to get a Cisco switch to talk to a 3com switch? I have a 3com 4500 switch that will uplink to a Netgear L3 switch fine with the exact same settings as the Cisco SG300-52 i have but with the Cisco I cant get it to work at all.

Any ideas?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

rocater
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Chris,

One thing to check in this case would be the auto-negotiation. Try setting the port speed and duplex to be 1000 full or 100 full.

If this does not work, I would check STP settings. While it does not happen often, I have seen where two switches will believe they are root bridge and refuse to pass traffic to each other.

View solution in original post

Chris,

Make sure you are running latest firmware on the SG300 switch as well. Once you have loaded both images 1.1.2.x now factory default your switch and you will now be in business. The older firmware was buggy and caused STP errors which exhibited strange behavior. I have had some customer couldn't believe  it was to easy after they had upgraded and defaulted.

Hope this helps,

Jasbryan

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

rocater
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Chris,

One thing to check in this case would be the auto-negotiation. Try setting the port speed and duplex to be 1000 full or 100 full.

If this does not work, I would check STP settings. While it does not happen often, I have seen where two switches will believe they are root bridge and refuse to pass traffic to each other.

Chris,

Make sure you are running latest firmware on the SG300 switch as well. Once you have loaded both images 1.1.2.x now factory default your switch and you will now be in business. The older firmware was buggy and caused STP errors which exhibited strange behavior. I have had some customer couldn't believe  it was to easy after they had upgraded and defaulted.

Hope this helps,

Jasbryan

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give those a shot tomorrow and let you know how it goes. The switch does have the latest firmware.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

If you're still having problems tomorrow you can give us a call @ 1-866-606-1866 and have the next available engineer to assist with your configuration.

thanks,

Jasbryan

Finally got it working! Had to set the port settings on the 3com then it would work. Where i was going wrong in the past was just setting those only on the Cisco and leaving the 3com as auto. Reversed and now it works! Thanks a ton for the help!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X