Views
Helpful
Replies

Add Description on each port

wiser7861
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Though it might sounds stupid but I am wondering if there is anyway to dynamically add description of each port.

What I am trying to achieve is port 1 of Switch A is connected to Port 2 of Switch B.

I want to add description on port 1 of Switch A to provide the information of destination device like IP of the destination device or MAC address or name of the device (end device could be cisco switch or server).

I know how to hard quote the description of each port but the problem is down the raw   if someone change the up link port on switch B from port 2 to port 3 than description on port 2 would be invalid.

So I am looking for a way to get the Switch B (destination device) information(IP/MAC/ hostname/ etc) and plug it into description of port 1 of Switch A.

I am hoping there must be a way of doing this.

I need your help and expertise.

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Arshad,

Just to see what can be done,  I added the following text to my uplink port (port 10)  on my SG300-10P  ( ordering p/n SRW2008P-K9-NA)

"uplink to my UC520 [2001:1:1:1::300]" 

As you may or may not see from the screen shot below,  I am managing my SG300 switch via a IPv6 or a IPv4 IP address and added that information to the port description.

The text came up when I clicked on switch port 10.

Hope this helps,

regards Dave

Basically you are hard quoting the port description. Thats not what I want to achieve. I need to get to dynamic (using macros or whatever) of the description of the destination device. this information could be IP or MAC address or anything.

Thanks,

Hi Arshad,

Why not try the free FINDIT application ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10660/index.html

Here is a screen shot of my Internet explorer and it found my SG300-10P  (orderable p/n  SRW2008P-K9-NA)

regards Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X