Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic configuration on SG 300 28P using Fiber Optic Connection

Dayan Aristo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

i am new on configuration using Switches Cisco SG 300 28P, can you share the mandatory setting if i want installed 2 or more switches using fiber optic connection? is it the same configuration if using RJ45 cable?

Thanks

Dayan

1 Reply 1

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Dayan,

I always check the setup guide on the 300 series switch for clarification. But the product is really plug and play.

There is one proviso as mentioned in the setup/quickstart guide, page 10, which i will quote below.;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/quick_start/78-19252-01.pdf

"MiniGBIC interface is a combination port, shared with one other RJ-45 interface. When the MiniGBIC is active, the adjacent RJ-45 port is disabled."

But other than that it's plug and play.

Some people get confused by the fiber

There are two fiber LC connectors that plug onto my  MiniGBICs (SFP) interface cards.  Let me use the term one transmit fiber and one receive fiber.

These fibers have to be crossed over so that the fiber that leads out of the  Transmit port of a SFP is fed into the receive data port of the remote SFP.

The following diagram may help, notice that the orange lines do not go to the same port on the other SFP slot..

SFP/MiniGBIC one                     SFP/MiniGBIC two

TX---------------------------------------RX

RX---------------------------------------TX

Bottom line is , it's a very easy setup.

Just remember that the SFP ports are shared ports,  and the shared  copper port wont work,  if there is a MiniGBIC or SFP working in the corresponding SFP or MiniGBIC port.

hope this helps.

regards Dave