cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

basic vlan question

bob-murray721
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys, I have an sg300 with vlan10 for data and vlan20 fore voice. I have voice vlan enabled, I have ports assigned to vlan10 untagged and vlan20 tagged. The plan is to plug PCs into the port on my phones. The issue is how do I configure the uplink port on the switch to my router, which has the same vlans. I can not ping my router or access the web. This is just a lab of course.

Any help would be great please.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Normally you would configure the uplink to the router as a (Cisco) trunk.  (I haven't worked with the SMB switches.)

As you have just two VLANs, you could also configure the uplink like your other access ports (but I wouldn't recommend this).

PS:

Of course, how you config the router port is important too.  You didn't ask about that, but if it's not properly configured, that too could cause the issues you note.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Normally you would configure the uplink to the router as a (Cisco) trunk.  (I haven't worked with the SMB switches.)

As you have just two VLANs, you could also configure the uplink like your other access ports (but I wouldn't recommend this).

PS:

Of course, how you config the router port is important too.  You didn't ask about that, but if it's not properly configured, that too could cause the issues you note.

Thanks for the advise guys. I am using a Watchguard XTM device, and I have these VLANs enabled. The XTM is also a per VLAN DHCP Server, I have checked the Cisco Switch settings as per mdobiac and its already set like this. I compared my XTM to a live working config and its the same so I was sure that this is not the cause. On my Cisco Switch I have a Cisco VOIP phone connected and this seems to work as expected, its picking up the correct VLAN ID (20 in this case) and getting its IP from the VOIP scope. Its doing what it should, so its just the data VLAN (10) that is not working. As a test I tried a different device on VLAN 10, in this case a Mac , it did not work in any interface including the back of the phone. I expected this to automatically be assigned to VLAN 10, but it did not. I created a virtual interface on the Mac which basically allows me to allocate the Mac manually to a VLAN, when I set this to VLAN 10 it did not work, when I changed it to VLAN 20 it worked fine but made the phone reboot. When the phone came back I could ping the phone from the Mac, if I set it back to VLAN10 it does not work even if I assign a static IP.

Not sure if this makes a difference however I have assigned the voice VLAN setting on the switch to 20.

Any more ideas ?

mdobiac
Level 3
Level 3

Hello bob-murray721,

As you have the VLANs already configured you will go to VLAN to port membership and select the port you want to use as your up link.  Select that port and click join VLAN.  You will want VLAN 10 as untagged and VLAN 20 as tagged.  Once saved you should see in the overall view of the ports that the uplink port will be port number and 10UP, 20T.  As the mode is trunk by default leave it as trunk.

Also as Mr. Doherty said the other side of the link, router side, should allow those VLANs on that interface.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Michael D.

bob-murray721
Level 1
Level 1

This is fixed and it was my Watchguard XTM, thanks for your help.

So if anyone else sees this post in WSM go to Policy Manager / network confi / select the VLAN interface. There is a check box at the top that's says send and receive tagged traffic for the selected vlan, select your Voice VLAN here as this is tagged. At the bottom of there is a check box that says send and receive untagged, and select your data VLAN. I had them both set to tagged which is why my data vlan was not working properly.

Thanks so much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X