cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to connect Cisco SG300-52MP to SG200-50P

jmille44ffs
Level 1
Level 1

We use the SG200-50P and just purchased the SG300-52MP.  I have 7 VLANs setup on the SG200-50P and use both VOIP and Data on the network.  What is the best way to connect the SG300-52MP to the SG200-50P switch?  I would like both switches to be on the same network and VLAN setups, so that I can plug into either switch and have the same VLANS and IP network.

Would I need to buy Fiber connect modules to connect the switches together?

Suggestions please.  Thank you.

1 Reply 1

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

To get both VLANs on both switches your best bet would probably be a trunk link carrying all the VLANs between the two switches.

Simply create the same VLANs on the new SG300, and then configure the port that will be connecting to the 200 as a trunk port, with the correct VLANs added.  Each trunk link has one untagged VLAN and the rest are tagged.  Set the port on the 200 the same way, Trunk with the tagged and untagged VLANs matching.  Then just plug them up and assign ports to the correct VLAN as needed.

As for if you need fiber that sort of depends.  You can setup a trunk link with regular ethernet just the same, so it mostly comes down to how far apart these two switches will be.  Ethernet will only reach about 90 meters, so if they are farther then that fiber is really your only option.  However if they are just going to be right next to each other, then go ahead and just use Ethernet, the result will be the same.

If you do need any assistance getting those trunk links configured don't hesitate to give us a call at the SBSC and we can help get that setup.

Cisco Small Business Support Center Contact Numbers

Hope that helps,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*