Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CCA for 100 + 300 series switches?

Is it in the roadmap to provide CCA control over 300 series switches?  We have a lot of SRW2008's put in before the 8-port ESW existed...and we have PITA vlan consistency issues out there too that I think CCA would help fix. 

While I understand the "don't pre-announce products", I need a level of design intent around CCA - is it a tool for configuring UC series pieces primarily and all else is secondary? Or is it the multi-device config tool for all SBCS pieces?

2 REPLIES

Re: CCA for 100 + 300 series switches?

Its on the roadmap but not in the near term release at this point.

Please tell me about the type of issues you see with switches that dont have CCA support and I will convey them to the BU.

I already have a good handle on Topology display (wont be there for them or anything connected), Configuration (nothing available in CCA) Maintenance (cant reset or SW Upgrade), Troubleshooting, Monitoring.

What specifically causes you to spend extra time on an install if you always have to launch the web interface of the switch to manually synchronize them to the UC?

Steve

Technical Solutions Engineer

U.S. Sales

Re: CCA for 100 + 300 series switches?

Nothing to do with the UC - primary concern is standalone networks.

Real life case:

2 ESW switches in control room hooked up to SA540

Closet switches are SRW2008's

Port no more than two devices are supposed to go now has 4, add an SRW2008 to the desk location.

Now, it turns out that there is a badly behaved device at the desk - a video player that spews all sorts of traffic when it's playing that doesn't play nice with others.  So I now need to set-up a VLAN crossing those two switches. Oh, and it turns out the customer decided to unplug an access point and plug it into that switch too which ended up causing a loop when the PC plugged into ethernet someplace else attached to the PC.

Tasks:

Ensure that the 2 SRW2008's have proper vlan assignments to setup a port vlan for that video server.

Issues:

Make sure you assign proper configs to both ends of each link

Make sure not to confuse one SRW2008 with another

If new vlan, make sure all other ports that need to see it can still see it.

Applications for CCA:

Visualize all VLANS

Document port assignments (i.e. where is the video server vs. printer on that last leg 2008)

More easily see port statistics across multiple switches

So after I did that work, I realized that the SA540 wasn't really up to being an aggregation switch too and made the ESW-540-48 into the aggregation switch which required some more changes - however CCA made it easy...

At another job, I have SA540 + AP541ns (upgraded from RVL200 + WAP54GP's) but if I had 300 series in CCA, I'd upgrade the SRW2024's and SRW2008's but without easy management tools, the labor cost will be too high to make their networks really managed.....CCA makes that layer of management cheaper.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content