Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing terminal and enable password on Cisco 3750

NJackson3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I need to change the password for the terminal and for the enable password on my cisco switches following the departure of a member of staff. I already know both passwords so I don't need to recover my switches I just need to reset the passwords on them however every KB article I have read keeps saying about recovering the whole switch surely this isn't necessary when I know the passwords!? 

Can anybody advise on what I need to do? Effectively I have tried the following -

raise privilege to enable then -

Conf t

password (New password)

enable password (New Password)

However when I try to input the new password for the terminal I get invalid input detected at the first character of the new password. The command for changing the enable password works however when I write mem then log off and back on to the switch it doesn't accept the new password and is still using the old password! If anybody could assist it would be greatly appreciated as I would like to avoid the downtime wherever possible so don't really want to have to pull the switch power and boot them into a certain mode just to change the password that seems a tad bit silly. However if this is the only please advise and I will have to arrange downtime accordingly but I was certain that I had seen the passwords changed before without booting up into that mode?

Any ideas?

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You don't need a power surge.  There are known issues with early "versions" of 3750.   During power reboot, their power supply will fail. 

Lately, Cisco issued a Field Notice about a memory fault affecting a lot of Cisco gear.   Go HERE.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X