Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco ESW 540 - how to enable PoE

Hi,

I have three ESW-540-48 switches and we are currently moving our office to VoIP telephony. The main reason we bought these switches was VoIP however I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong but I can configure PoE on those switches.

PoE.PNG

Everytime I try to open PoE Settings on this switch I get the following information:

System currently contains no POE supporting  units

For test purpose I have conecte one of the Cisco VoIP SPA504G phone directly to the switch on eth0/40, phone doesn't turn on and it looks like power signal is not sent to the phone.

Do I need any additional PoE module for this switch or is there anything else I miss there?

Thanks for your advice,

Lukasz

Everyone's tags (7)
3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Cisco ESW 540 - how to enable PoE

I'm sorry to say, your switch does not support POE.

The models with POE support have a "P" in its name. For example "ESW-520-48P-K9"

There are three Options:

A: Buy a POE switch
B: Buy POE injectors
C: Buy Power supply for Phones

Edit:

Full List of the ESW 540 Series here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps10143/data_sheet_c78-521740.html

Regards

Stefan

Re: Cisco ESW 540 - how to enable PoE

Thanks Stefan for a prompt reply.

Do you know by any chance what POE injector for this particular switch I should look for?

Regards,

Lukasz

Bronze

Cisco ESW 540 - how to enable PoE

No, I've never worked with Power injectors if multiple devices use POE.

I know "blackbox" (www.blackbox.com) do have Power Injectors, but I do not have personal experiance with such device.

Regards

Stefan

Views
Helpful
Replies