Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

cisco gigabit switch for AT&T uverse

I have what is hopefully a simple question.  I'd like to know if any of the small business switches (e.g., the SRW2024) will work with AT&T uverse.

I have my house wired for gigabit, and am getting uverse installed this week.  I have one gigabit (rj45) line running to where my TV is, but also about a half-dozen other devices there (game consoles, slingbox, etc).

So, I need switches that can route the video and audio uverse content over the same network as the data.  Typically, I believe the AT&T installers just run direct cables for the TV's and hook them into the residential gateway.  I would prefer to use the existing wires, rather than have them tear up my house (especially given where the TV is).

The UVerse gateway (as far as I can tell from reading) supports something like IGMPv3 (or, perhaps, based on some articles, IGMPv2 with fast join/leave) and (perhaps?) 802.1p for QoS routing of the IP video and audio.  

Right now, I have a bunch of small cheap gigabit switches in the house, that are a few years (or more) old.

In order to have everything on the same network, I think I need IGMPv3; but, it's not clear.   The only explicit recommendation for a switch I've found is for the Netgear GS105NA, but I'm keen to use a CISCO switch if I can (the reviews of the Netgear, for example, are horrible in terms of reliability).

Any suggestions appreciated!

Everyone's tags (2)
Views
Helpful
Replies