Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SG300 IPv6 forwarding support

jan.schneider
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I undestand that there was added IPv6 forwarding to SG500 line of switches with the 1.3 series firmware.

As this also planned for the SG300 line of switches? TCAM ressources are of course more rare on these switches but they should suffice for a reasonable set of IPv6 routes if I am not mistaken.

I would be happy to get some feedback on this topic from Cisco. :-)

Have fun!

Jan

10 Replies 10

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Jan, I am not too familiar with ipv6 features, but I happened to have upgraded my SG300-28p and read the release notes recently.  There is one reference to a new ipv6 feature:

Added new feature IPv6 First Hop Security, which is a suite of features

designed to secure link operations in an IPv6 network for Sx300 and Sx500

There are also a few ipv6 references on the resolved issues section.

Release notes are here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/release_notes/R_1.3.5_RN.pdf

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Hi Brandon, yes I read the latest release notes, however they mention IPv6 forwarding/routing only for the SG500 series, that's the reason I'm asking this question. ;-)

I don't see this feature in the new features section, perhaps you can mention what specifically you are reading.

In my experience when they specify the switch model in the release notes they mean just that so I would expect this would not apply to 300 series if it says 500 only.

As for future plans, If anyone from Cisco is listening perhaps they will chime in here.

It's mentioned in the earlier 1.3.x release notes, and yes specifically for the SG500 series.

Again, this is why I am asking this question specifically for the SG300 series. I agree that only Cisco can answer this question, that's why I am hoping for them to chime in.

I also need the IPV6 static routing feature for multiple VLANs on my SG300 switches.  In total I manage about 10 SG300 switches.

jan.schneider
Level 1
Level 1

It would also be nice to get feedback from other users, if there is need for IPv6 forwarding on the SG300, or if I'm the only one who would like this feature. ;-)

Interesting, I thought there might be more demand for IPv6.

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Jan,

IPv6 routing is supported on the SG300 platform. Please check the Admin guide documentation (Chapter 16) for more details on the supported features.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/administration_guide/78-19308-01.pdf

Hope this helps.

Nagaraja

Hello Nagaraja,

sorry you misunderstood. I'm talking about forwarding, to be more specific, right now the SG300 can NOT forward IPv6 traffic, I can NOT define multiple VLAN interfaces with IPv6 addresses and let the switch (running in L3 mode of course) forward traffic between those as it does for IPv4. At least that's what the admin guides states more or less clear...

So, is this feature planned for the SG300 in a future firmware version like it was done for the SG500?

Hope this was clear enough now. ;-)

Cheers,

Jan

No further comment? :-(

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X