cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switch SG300-28P

bguidry1211
Level 1
Level 1

We have four Cisco SG300-28P switches and one Linksys SRW2024 switch in a closet. I have been here for a while and I am finally getting the time to straighten out the mess of wires in that closet. I know that you have to link the switches together and right now they are using one to the 28 ports. Can I use the gigabit ports instead? Thanks for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No worries, glad that helped.... yes, the numbering of the last few ports is a bit strange 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

hefwilliams
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

All the ports on the SG300-28P are 1Gb, so it doesn't matter which one you use. You could use the GBIC if required with Fibre, but only advantage would be for a long cable run. I understand it's better to use either ports 25,26,27, or 28 for switch uplinks, this is due to the architecture of the backplane. These ports are DA ports (Direct Access), which means they are directly connected to the packet processor and bypass the PHY.

Hope this helps.

This helped. What was throwing me off was ports 1 through 24 were numbered on the top and the last 4 ports were labeled "Link/Acct Gigabit on the top.

No worries, glad that helped.... yes, the numbering of the last few ports is a bit strange 

The Cisco SG300-28P switch is an affordable 28-port managed Gigabit (10/100/1000) switch, including two mini-GBIC ports and Power over Ethernet (PoE), that supports bandwidth-intensive applications and boosts network speeds.With 28 10/100/1000 ports of standard PoE that can connect and power wireless access points, Pass4sure 400-101 IP telephones, IP-based video surveillance cameras, and other network endpoints, the switch provides a foundation to support data, voice, video, and wireless networking solutions for small businesses. Its energy-saving technology optimizes power use to help protect the environment and reduce energy costs without compromising performance.

Are you saying the mini-GBIC ports should work like the rest of ports because in my case they do not? Our phones use a internet based system that uses POE and if I plug a phone in one of those ports it will not work.