Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Connecting SRW2048s over multimode fiber

OK... I'm a fiber / optical networking newbie so I apologize well in advance if my vocabulary is way off in this post... but here goes...

I wanted to upgrade our old 10/100 cisco switches (Catalyst 3500) to something gigabit so I bought some SRW2048s.  I'm trying to connect them over our existing multimode fiber (terminated in ST connectors) but they won't link.  I bought MGBSX1s to accomplish this task and some LC-ST fiber cable to make the connection.  I think I have the ST connections right... on one end it's red/black (for Tx/Rx) for the two ST connectors, and on the other end it's black/red (Rx/Tx).  Is there anything I need to do to the switch to make it work right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kevin

Message was edited by: mack_kevin for grammar

2 REPLIES

Re: Connecting SRW2048s over multimode fiber

by turning off auto-negotiate on the switches, I've gotten them to link up...  any reason why they can't auto-negotiate?  or is that just used by computers and needs to be turned off when going switch to switch?

Re: Connecting SRW2048s over multimode fiber

it's amazing what a little research into a problem can do...

"Autonegotiation (formerly NWay) is an Ethernet procedure..."

looky there... an ethernet procedure probably won't help fiber optic connections....

Views
Helpful
Replies