cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help w/Voice VLAN on SMB 300-10p

karlwyatt
Level 1
Level 1

We have purchased serveral new SMB 300 switches to support our VoIP rollout and save cost. I'm use to using the CLI on cisco devices, but now i'm stuck figuring out the GUI that comes with these switches.

I have setup the Voice VLAN to be 100, i have setup the port type as general, and i have added the port to VLAN 4 (data vlan). when i plug the NEC phone into the switchport and the computer into the phone, the computer gets an IP in VLAN 4 but the phone gets an IP from VLAN 1 not VLAN 100.

Like i said i set the Voice VLAN to 100, but when i look at the Macro for the smartport it is saying the voice vlan is 1. Do i have to manually change the macro somehow? can i change the macro somehow?

Sorry i don't have a lot of info in this post. If you need to know how anything else is configured just ask i'll post it up.

Thanks

Karl                  

15 Replies 15

Davidwagman1
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Karl,

If you're on 1.1.2.0 firmware or later, there is a CLI for the SG300s. Its not exactly the same as the Cisco IOS, but its pretty close.

Personally, I have found that the "auto smartport" is not so smart. I have no experience with NEC phones, but I configured the vlans manually, ports in trunk mode, with data vlan untagged and voice vlan tagged.

Best,

David

There is! awesome i just upgrade it last night? any idea how i enable Telnet or SSH? i can't seem to connect to it.

Hi Karl,

You can use the serial db9 console cable that came with it for a hardwired connection (I use putty):

Also you can enable telnet and/or ssh: Status and Statistics -> System Summary, look for TCP/UDP services status and then hit Edit, enable what you want, hit apply, and remember to save the config. Also, you can go right to Security -> TCP/UDP services to enable:

Best,

David

Please remember to rate helpful posts and identify correct answers.

Wow that wasn't starring me in the face or anything

Karl,

No worries.

With regard to the auto smartport thing - its really odd. I spent a bit of time with SBSC to get it working with cisco phones here, and it wouldn't take. It didn't look like there was a way to change the macros, so we ended up configuring the switch with Telephony OUI and manually setting the rest of the vlans.

Perhaps one of the preliminary things you can check with your config is LLDP being enabled (you need CDP and/or LLDP for auto smartports). Have you tried setting the vlan under vlan management -> Voice Vlan -> voice vlan properties rather than smartport?

Best,

David

Does this help explain my config? it still isn't working

Hi Karl,

Looks OK, I'd like to also see the port to vlan config and LLDP MED config

Have you tried "restart auto voice vlan" under auto voice vlan?

Best,

David

I'd like to expand on David's comment as well.

Are you using DHCP option 150 at all?

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

I thought option 150 just specified the location of the tftp server. That shouldn't affect the iPhone pulling an inncorrect IP address right?

David, here is more - GE2 has a phone attached to it currently

Karl,

Can you try switching GE2 to a trunk port? I take it the phone isn't getting voice on 100 and data on 1?

Best,

David

David,

Right now both my phone and connected PC are recieving IP's from VLAN 1. If i change the untagged & PVID VLAN to 4 both the phone and the pc will pull IPs from VLAN 4.

If i were to switch the port to a trunk port, how would the phone or the PC know what VLAN it was on? okay maybe the phone would pick it up from the Voice VLAN configuration, but the PC wouldn't know what VLAN to be part of and the switch won't assign it... will it?

David,

I tried changing to a trunk port, i left vlan 1 as untagged/PVID and also setup vlan 100 as tagged on the port. The phone is still pulling from VLAN 1

DHCP option 150 can over write the smart port roles as well.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thomas,

No i have not configured option 150 yet, just trying to get IPs to the devices first.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X