cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I configure SNMP v1/2 on a Cisco SG200-50?

jmu_feb191977
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an SG200-50 small business switch that I need to configure SNMP on.  It has the latest firmware and boot code installed on it and so the SNMP configuration tab appears in the GUI.

However, when I enable SNMP in the TCP/UDP services page on the switch and create a RO community string (let's say 'public') it is completely unreachable via SNMP.

I have configured other switches in the past for SNMP and it was always as simple as enabling SNMP (if necessary) and creating a community string for access.  I don't understand what could be mucking this up here.

Under the TCP/UDP services tab, the GUI says that the switch is listening on the SNMP port of UDP 161.

Am I missing something obvious?

Many Thanks,

Jon

5 Replies 5

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Jon, see if this helps- go to http://sbkb.cisco.com and search switches > snmp.  There is an article ID 3590 about setting up SNMP on these switches.  Unfortunately the site does not seem to allow linking directly to pages.

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Hi Brandon,

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I followed exactly what was prescribed by the article you mentioned, but it still doesn't work.  So I decided to perform a port scan of the switch and I was able to determine that it is not listening on UDP 161 (SNMP) as the GUI claims that it is.  I am going to reboot it one more time, but besides that, I am at a loss as to what to do.

Thanks,

Jon

Strange.  You did scan connected directly to switch I guess?  What software version?  I do recall some time ago enabling SNMP on a bunch of 200 series switches and had to upgrade, but I think t was to get SNMP feature at all, not because of an issue with it not working.  Is the switch new?  It comes with free phone support from Cisco.

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Thanks Brandon.  Yes, I had to upgrade the firmware initially to gain access to the SNMP management features.  They weren't available out-of-the-box.

I will probably call Cisco for support whenever I have a free moment.

Jon

george.chaitas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

You just need to enable snmp service on the Security->TCP UDP Services page.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbss/sf20x_sg20x/administration_guide/78-21139.pdf

page 334

G.