cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inherited an SRW208MP, reset/config issues

samhill1956
Level 1
Level 1

Have tried to no avail connecting with a serial cable and Dell D600 to reach the console on this switch.

Used the following settings on COM 1 & COM 3 in HyperTerminal:

* Bits per second: 38400

* Data bits: 8

* Parity: None

* Stop bits: 1

* Flow Control: None
COM 3 would show input on the screen, COM 1 would not, both said they were connected, neiter gave any output or menu from the switch.

The instructions in srw208.pdf, from CISCO support were spare on instructions and I've been poring over the posts in the old forum, hoping to resolve this.  The unit had the default IP modified and had fallen off the map over a year ago.  It will pass through traffic when connected to another gateway router, but that's about it.

Any suggestions?  Because I'm seriously leaning towards high caliber ammunition and a fence post at this point.

Thanks for reading in.

1 Reply 1

miswilli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sam,

The admin guide for this switch is available at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/srw208/administration/guide/srw208.pdf

Connecting with the console cable is discussed in chapter 4.

Based on your query, I assume you are used to some of our enterprise switches that you configure via CLI.

However, the best course of action, since small business switches have a very limited menu using the console,  would be to isolate the switch from the rest of the network except for one computer statically assigned a 192.168.1.x ip address and  connected via an ethernet cable to the switch, then perform a factory reset on the switch (by pressing the reset button for 30-45 seconds).

This way, you will be able to access the management GUI as the GUI is the main means of configuring small business switches - the console menu is very limited.

RUn a continuous ping to 192.168.1.254 (ping 192.168.1.254 -t) to make sure the switch has fully rebooted.

At factory defaults, you should be able to reach the GUI by typing 192.168.1.254 into a web browser on the PC connected to it. See page 18 of the admin guide for the username and password at defaults. (could be admin/ admin but try the suggested username and password first).

Once you have configured the switch as you want it, change the static switch ip to match your network as your final step. The switch will reboot itself and then the new ip would give you access to the GUI thereafter.

If you run into difficulty, please feel free to contact us at 1-866-606-1866 and we will be happy to assist.

I hope this information helps. Have a great day!