Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue on firmware 1.2.5.70

acibat0530
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have upgraded my 7 x SG200 50/50 switches from 1.1.2.0 to 1.2.5.70 and after upgrading

most of these switches rebooted by itself while I'm saving or logging off. It gives me this error

2147483647   2012-Jun-28 05:34:12 Emergency   %SYSLOG-F-OSFATAL:   FATAL ERROR: GOAH: ABORT DATA exception  ***** FATAL ERROR *****  SW Version  :  1.2.5.70 Version Date:  11-Jun-2012 Version Tim e:  17:36:47 Instruction            0x150348 Exception vector       0x10 Program state register 0x60000013 0x0015014c ***** END OF FATAL ERROR *****     

Any advise will highly be appreciated.

Thanks

AC

7 Replies 7

Davidwagman1
Level 7
Level 7

Hi AC,

First, what browser were you using when you performed the upgrade?

Have you tried paperclip in the reset button?

If that doesn't work, you can reload the firmware via hyperterminal using xmodem:

1) To load the firmware via Hyperterminal;

Bits per seconds: 115200

Databits: 8

Partiy: None

Stop bits:1

Flow control: None

2) Reboot the switch, just unplug the power and plug it back in

3) When prompted, press ESC

4)The startup menu will appear, choose option 1 -> Download software

5) On the top of the Hyperterminal, choose the option TRANSFER -> Send File

6) Browse the firmware file and select it

7) Choose protocol->  Xmodem

8) Click send

This  process will take 20 minutes or so, give or take, just let the switch  idle until the process is done.  This should resolve the reboot loop.   If the reboot loop persists, try to load the 1.1.2.0 firmware instead  then perform your upgrade. It should be stable.

(Credit to Tom Watts for these instructions)

Hope that helps.

Best,

David

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

Initially, I tried the following:

1. I rolled back the firmware to 1.1.2.0 then rebooted.

2. After reboot, I reset the switch to factory settings. (paper clip way)

3. Then re-configured it.

So far nothing on the logs, no reboot behaviour, I am still monitoring the Switch and will post an update here.

If the reboot persist, you mentioned after rolling back to 1.1.20,... upgrade it again to 1.2.5.70 and

it will become stable? Is this the solution to it?

AC

Hi AC,

If you are running on 1.1.2.0 now and its stable, I would try to download the firmware again from the Cisco site and try the firmware update process again.

You never answered my question as to which browser you used for the firmware update. There are reports about some browsers (chrome and firefox) causing some weird results when used for the firmware update.  You can also try using tftp.

There are also some who had similar persistent issues and have decided not to update to 1.2.5.70, such as in https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3671340#3671340

Personally, I have SG300-10Ps, SG300-10MPs, and SG300-28Ps running on 1.2.5.70 with no issues.

Best,

David

Hi David,

UPDATES:

I used Windows Explorer 9 during the upgrade. I don't know if this is included from those browsers causing issues.

But the Cisco Small Bus guy recommend to use IE8 if possible.

At the moment, after rolling back to 1.1.2.0 (all 7 SG200 swtiches)... I have NOT experience rebooting again so far and

there's nothing on the log in all the switches.

I will try to upgrade only 1 switch using IE8 and I will post any issues again. Thanks David.

AC 

AC,

Just a quick thought, you can also try updating the firmware via CLI. You can copy the firmware image to the inactive image file with:

copy tftp:///Sx300_FW-1.2.5.70.ros image  

Then do show bootvar and you will see the current boot image and the version of the new boot image. To boot to the firmware you just copied over, use boot system image 1 (or image 2 depnding on the output of the sh bootvar).

Let us know how it goes.

Best,

David

AC,

Just saw a post from Cisco, copied below, you may want to stick with 1.1.2.0 for now:

[ 7/4/2012 - Product Alert – MR Release 1.2.5.70 for the Series 200, 300, and 500 Switches

Please  note we have identified a potential issue with the 1.2.5.70 update for  the Series 200, 300, and 500 switches. As a precautionary measure, we  have taken down the 1.2.5.70 release while we determine the  cause of  the issue, severity, and scope. We will either re-post the release or  post an updated version depending on the outcome of our analysis.   Please check back at the Download Center for updates]

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-25157

Best,

David

Please remember to rate helpful resonses and identify correct answers.

Hi David,

This explains a lot.

Thanks for this information.

AC