Views
Helpful
Replies

Linksys SRW224G4 Fail After Firmware upgrade

h_prodromidis
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie in this forum, so please excuse me If I may not make all things right.

I have a serious problem with my Linksys SRW224G4 managed switch.

After the one and only time that I have tried to update its Firmware, a couple of weeks ago,

although that the firmware upgrade ended with a success, When I tried to reboot the switch

the device went broken. Now it does not recieve an IP from the DHCP, hence I cannot see it in a list

with the IP scanner.

I have read and followed the manual, in order to be able to connect to the switch with Hyper Terminal

via an RS232 serial port cable and managed to reach up to the following screenshot.

Now I am stuck in this situation and cannot move forward, since I get ( as you can see in the next screenshot below), with a message that

the download procedure with the Xmodem fails to dowload an image. Please have a look at the following screenshot............

Any Ideas from a Cisco Expert, or maybe someone who have faced the same problem, would be very much apprciated......

Is there a way that I can save the switch by reloading the firmware, or is it uselles and so I have to through it away???

PLEASE  HELP  anyone....!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

It's not unrecoverable. It just looks like the existing image didn't take and the boot process wants you to load a new one over the serial link. You're using HyperTerminal, so you already have what's necessary to load the image.

As soon as the switch indicates that it's downloading code using XMODEM, select the file transfer option in the HyperTerminal menu and upload the "SRW2xxG4_FW_1.2.3.0.ros" file using XMODEM. It will take awhile, but should recover the switch.

Also, make absolutely sure that you're using an SRW224G4 revision 1.1. If you upload the firmware from the 1.0 firmware, this sort of thing will happen.

If you happen to have a revision 1.0 switch, you can still recover it via XMODEM, but use the "fesm-12216.ros" firmware instead.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

It's not unrecoverable. It just looks like the existing image didn't take and the boot process wants you to load a new one over the serial link. You're using HyperTerminal, so you already have what's necessary to load the image.

As soon as the switch indicates that it's downloading code using XMODEM, select the file transfer option in the HyperTerminal menu and upload the "SRW2xxG4_FW_1.2.3.0.ros" file using XMODEM. It will take awhile, but should recover the switch.

Also, make absolutely sure that you're using an SRW224G4 revision 1.1. If you upload the firmware from the 1.0 firmware, this sort of thing will happen.

If you happen to have a revision 1.0 switch, you can still recover it via XMODEM, but use the "fesm-12216.ros" firmware instead.

Dear Friend Jody,

Let me call you a friend, since you have saved me a lot of time of trial and error with this situation.

I have finally managed to recover the switch. I was performing all the right procedures, but the secret was in your words......As soon as .......... That finally did the trick.

I am so gratefull for sharing your knowledge with me and I wish to thank you by sending you a small souvenir gift from my city (Thessaloniki-Greece). If you wish to provide me with a postal address, I will send you that souvenir. For ref. you can use my email address.... h_prodromidis@yahoo.com.

Thank you once more....

Best Regards..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X