Views
Helpful
Replies

MGBLH1 & MGBLX1 Question

M.Zaatreh
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

We ordered 1000Base-LH (MGBLH1) transceiver for a customer instead of 1000Base-LX (MGBLX1)
Will it do the job anyway ?

Thanks in advance.

Mohammed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Mohammed

Check out the Question and Answer section on the Small Business SFP's.

My only concern with using the more 'powerful' MBGLH1  when compared to the MGBLX1  is to make sure that the MGBLH1  are not connected  too close together.

I recall reading some time ago that the more powerful MGBLH1  has a range of 500m to 40 km. Wish i could quickly find that reference, but it makes me think that these SFP's should not really  be connected by a short Single mode patch cable (less than 500m)  like some shorter distance single mode SFP. 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps4999/products_qanda_item09186a0080abed87.shtml

MGBLX1 are 10km SFPs and I would think that they could work back to back even at short distances within a rack.  But both MGBLH1 and MGBLX1 are single mode SFP's  just the first one has four times the range. So depending on the desired range you need if it's less than 40km, you should be ok.

regards Dave

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Mohammed

Check out the Question and Answer section on the Small Business SFP's.

My only concern with using the more 'powerful' MBGLH1  when compared to the MGBLX1  is to make sure that the MGBLH1  are not connected  too close together.

I recall reading some time ago that the more powerful MGBLH1  has a range of 500m to 40 km. Wish i could quickly find that reference, but it makes me think that these SFP's should not really  be connected by a short Single mode patch cable (less than 500m)  like some shorter distance single mode SFP. 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps4999/products_qanda_item09186a0080abed87.shtml

MGBLX1 are 10km SFPs and I would think that they could work back to back even at short distances within a rack.  But both MGBLH1 and MGBLX1 are single mode SFP's  just the first one has four times the range. So depending on the desired range you need if it's less than 40km, you should be ok.

regards Dave

Hi David,

Many thank for your reply and clarification.

I will make sure that the customer will not connect the new LH with exiting LX for distance shorter than 500m so prevent LX SFPs damage.

Best Regards,

Mohammed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X