Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple VLANS and Multiple SG300 switches

chris.loverme
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm going to have several SG300-28P switches to setup.  I'll need to create multiple vlans for data, voice, and wireless traffic.  I have the following questions in setting up this configuration:

VLAN 1 Management

VLAN 100 Data

VLAN 200 Wireless

VLAN 300 Voice

1) For managing the switches via IP, will LAN1 be the default management network?  Should I create a seperate VLAN for managing the switches?

2) For uplinking the switches together, I plan to trunk a port to connect the switches together.  What's the configuration on the trunk port to forward all vlans from one switch to another?

3) On some ports, I want to configure a trunk for two vlans (Data and Voice) where the phone has a pass through for PC.  The phone supports tagging for the PC and the VoIP traffic.  For example on port 10, would VLAN 100 and 300 be set to tagged?

Thanks,

Chris

3 Replies 3

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Chris

1 - Yes it is best practice, also because you do not want anyone using any of the above networks to have access to the device

2 - The configuration between switches as follows - This allows all vlan traffic to pass

config t

vlan database

vlan 100,200,300

interface gi1

switchport trunk allowed vlan add all

3 - Yes the following configuration

config t

interface gi2

switchport trunk native vlan 100

switchport trunk allowed vlan add 300

In addition, you may use the auto voice vlan through cdp/lldp med, telephony OUI or manually configuring the phones/ports.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks Tom... I have a related follow-up question with the auto vlan.  How do you configure it on the switch with lldp?  I see a lot of people posting how to do that, but there seems to be some confusion with it.  I need to configure the switch so that if a phone gets plugged in, it auto configures for vlan 300, but if that phone has a pc connected to it, the voip traffic is on vlan 300 but the pc connected to the phone is on vlan 100.  The phone supports lldp med too.

How would I configure it for a port on an SG300 28P switch?

Example

Port 1 - If a VoIP phone gets plugged in, the traffic is on vlan 300.  But if a VoIP phone gets plugged in and the phone has a pass through port on it for a PC, the VoIP traffic is on 300 but the PC traffic is on vlan 100 too.

Thanks,

Chris

Reference this post, I posted pictures

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2166311

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X