Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

new SG500 and SG300 How do I enable the fiber ports?

Sorry if this is a repeat couldn’t find my first post - I have a new small lan it consists of 4 SG 300's and 1 SG 500. I had thought I would be able to use the combo ports to connect the switches through the fiber trunk, but the ports are disabled and I cannot get them enabled. Could someone explain how to accomplish this or at least point me to documentation/instructions to do so? I am a total newbie so the simpler the better.

Please and Thank You!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Green

Hi Kirk, by default all of the ports are enabled.

If you need to enable a port you may log in to the cli and go to the port and issue the command "no shut down".

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
3 REPLIES
Green

Hi Kirk, by default all of the ports are enabled.

If you need to enable a port you may log in to the cli and go to the port and issue the command "no shut down".

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thank you for the reply, I will try that -however what I was trying to ask and failing is; If I can enable the ports will the switches be able to comunicate as long as they are in the same ip range or is there more to it than that? I have all new equipment but my fear is that the media converters i have are not recognized by the switch because there is no reference in the gui to anything being installed in those ports. -and that even if i get that working there will be some magic cofiguation i need to do  to get everyone talking.

I have looked for instructions to explain the prosses but to be honest i dont get it. in the simplest form i need to get the fiber conection working between all five switches. I'm not trying to get someone to do it for me just a rosetta stone and identification of the correct instuctions.

Green

Hi Kirk, by default the switches do not care about IP address as they are layer 2 device. In a layer 2 environment the only IP concern is the management (ability to configure the switch). Assuming all of your wiring/connections are kosher there shouldn't be any issues.

Most fundamental example can be-

Router RJ45 connection to RJ45 switch port = Computer connect vs RJ45 = connection on the computer without configuration.

Fiber is no different assuming the SFP is compatible etc. So long as everything is kosher, shouldn't have problems.

-Tom

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content