Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Newbie question regarding network connectivity and passwords

Hello. I am tasked with changing all of the console and telnet passwords on our switches since our network administrator left. I have the line commands I need but am wondering if I do this during working hours, will it affect the network? I don't want any of our employees to get kicked off. I am completely new to working with switches and had 1-2 days of a quick overview of training on our network until I can take classes. Deathly afraid of disrupting anything! Thanks.                   

3 REPLIES

Changing passwords should not cause a network outage. If these are small business Switches then they may also have a web interface which you can use.

I have changed the passwords on our SG300, SG200, 3750 and our 2960 switches multiple times with no issues.

you won t have any issue changing admin password on switch or rooter or Access point or others (as u just change the right to access/manage them, as long as your previous admin don t use batch or sh script to automate some wierd task through admin consol).

U d better use ssh instead of telnet to administrate those switches...it s safer (as the name indicates).

Re: Newbie question regarding network connectivity and passwords

Thanks so much!

Views
Helpful
Replies