Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie question regarding network connectivity and passwords

Hello. I am tasked with changing all of the console and telnet passwords on our switches since our network administrator left. I have the line commands I need but am wondering if I do this during working hours, will it affect the network? I don't want any of our employees to get kicked off. I am completely new to working with switches and had 1-2 days of a quick overview of training on our network until I can take classes. Deathly afraid of disrupting anything! Thanks.                   

3 Replies 3

dave23189
Level 1
Level 1

Changing passwords should not cause a network outage. If these are small business Switches then they may also have a web interface which you can use.

I have changed the passwords on our SG300, SG200, 3750 and our 2960 switches multiple times with no issues.

you won t have any issue changing admin password on switch or rooter or Access point or others (as u just change the right to access/manage them, as long as your previous admin don t use batch or sh script to automate some wierd task through admin consol).

U d better use ssh instead of telnet to administrate those switches...it s safer (as the name indicates).

Thanks so much!