Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Mirroring SRW2048

Hello,

Does anybody know the specifications about port mirroring funcionality for Cisco SRW2048 48-Port Gigabit Switch?

I need to know about:

1.- Is there any limit in port mirroring sessions?

2.- Can one target port receive traffic from multiple ports?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Alejandro,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'sessions'  , but i'll explain a common sense limit on mirroring a little later.

But for a test, I pulled up my SRW2008P, even though not a SRW2048 and produced the following screen shot at the following community location.

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/message/15201#15201

You can usually mirror both TX and RX traffic from about four ports to a fifth port, even on the SRW2048. But you can, as you wish, limit to only RX traffic from the switches perspective.

In terms of limits to mirrored sessions,  there is a common sense limit .

If the four switch  ports to be mirrored are running at very high port  utilisation  and  you are capturing 3 or  4  switch ports and directing that traffic to a 5th switch port for mirroring purposes, expect packets to be dropped as it egresses out to the mirrored port.  I hope that make sense. You can't have 4Gbits/sec  egressing out a mirrored ports to your PC or capturing utility. :-)

regards Dave

View solution in original post

Hi Alejandro,

This switch only supports 1 session - i.e. 1 target mirror port. SRW and SFE/SGE switches can have up to 8 source ports while the SLM switches can have up to 4 source ports.In every case there is only one target mirror port.

Thanks,

Ivor

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Alejandro,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'sessions'  , but i'll explain a common sense limit on mirroring a little later.

But for a test, I pulled up my SRW2008P, even though not a SRW2048 and produced the following screen shot at the following community location.

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/message/15201#15201

You can usually mirror both TX and RX traffic from about four ports to a fifth port, even on the SRW2048. But you can, as you wish, limit to only RX traffic from the switches perspective.

In terms of limits to mirrored sessions,  there is a common sense limit .

If the four switch  ports to be mirrored are running at very high port  utilisation  and  you are capturing 3 or  4  switch ports and directing that traffic to a 5th switch port for mirroring purposes, expect packets to be dropped as it egresses out to the mirrored port.  I hope that make sense. You can't have 4Gbits/sec  egressing out a mirrored ports to your PC or capturing utility. :-)

regards Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your answer, of course I understand I can't have 4 Gbps out of the egress port, bust sometimes we know that even when the link is 1 Gbps the traffic is not going to fill that bandwidht.

Regarding the sessions question, I understand by your response you can have:

Source Port    Type                      Target port

g1                           Rxonly                   g3

g2                           Rxonly                   g3

g4                           Rxonly                   g6

g5                           Both                      g6

Can you confirm this?

We are evaluating to propose this switch to a customer and we need to have this feature.

If there isn't any limitation in mirroring traffic, except logical bandwith capabilities, then I can't understand why Catalyst 2960 have a limitation to one or two monitor sessions ... The catalyst are suposed to be better switches ......

Best Regards

Hi Alejandro,

I am working on a assumption, and i have seen no caveats, that if the management interface allows 4 or 5 switch ports to be mirrored to one switch port, it should work. I must admit I have only used port mirroring for diagnostic purposes, but plenty of people out there use mirroring for UTM  purposes.

I will copy this thread to the SRW product manager for confirmation regarding any caveat.  :)

regards Dave

Hi Alejandro,

This switch only supports 1 session - i.e. 1 target mirror port. SRW and SFE/SGE switches can have up to 8 source ports while the SLM switches can have up to 4 source ports.In every case there is only one target mirror port.

Thanks,

Ivor

Hi Ivor,

Thanks very much, that is exactly the information I needed.

Best Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X