Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Problem configuring default route

I have an SG300-20 configured with 4 vlans, 1, 10, 20, 30. It is configured for L3.  I use this for my home lab network.  VLAN 1 is connected to my cable modem, and gets it's IP address and gateway via DHCP.  I have a host on VLAN 10, and a host on VLAN 20.  I can ping from one host to the other host just fine.  I can ping from the switch to the hosts, and from the switch to the cable modem and internet.  I cannot ping from either of the hosts to the cable modem or internet.

Here is the relevant switch config (IPs masked):

#sh ip int

IP Address         I/F       Type     Directed   Precedence   Status

Broadcast

------------------- --------- ----------- ---------- ---------- -----------

76.xxx.xxx.xx/20    vlan 1    DHCP        disable    No         Valid

192.168.10.1/24     vlan 10   Static      disable    No         Valid

192.168.20.1/24     vlan 20   Static      disable    No         Valid

192.168.30.1/24     vlan 30   Static      disable    No         Valid

#sh ip route

Maximum Parallel Paths: 1 (1 after reset)

IP Forwarding: enabled

Codes: > - best, C - connected, S - static

S   0.0.0.0/0 [1/2] via 76.xxx.xx.x, 21:43:15, vlan 1

C   76.xxx.xx.0/20 is directly connected, vlan 1

C   192.168.10.0/24 is directly connected, vlan 10

C   192.168.20.0/24 is directly connected, vlan 20

C   192.168.30.0/24 is directly connected, vlan 30

It would appear that the switch is routing between all VLANs except VLAN 1.   Any ideas what I am missing here?

Everyone's tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Green

Hi Brandon, I think the problem is you're expecting NAT to work. It feels like to me VLAN 1 has the internet connection and you're trying to put the other 3 VLANs on the internet.

In theory you're right on but without NAT this cannot work. The switch also does not support NAT.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
2 REPLIES
Green

Hi Brandon, I think the problem is you're expecting NAT to work. It feels like to me VLAN 1 has the internet connection and you're trying to put the other 3 VLANs on the internet.

In theory you're right on but without NAT this cannot work. The switch also does not support NAT.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Yep you are absolutely right and now I feel like an idiot.  The source IP never gets changed, and the gateway device has no route back.  I knew it was going to be something simple I had overlooked.  Time to go set up a VM to do the NAT.

Thanks,
Brandon

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content