Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Problems with fiber connection between 3Com 5500G-EI and Cisco SG-300-52

We’ve just begun the transition from our old 3Com switches to new Cisco switches and we’ve encountered interoperability problems as we start the transition.

Goal:  Extend 6 VLANs (each representing an IP subnet) via fiber from a port on the 3Com 5500G-EI to a port on the Cisco SG-300-52

• •1)      We assign an IPV4 address to the Cisco SG-300-52.  We can successfully ping/web-manage at this address if we do a temporary copper jumper from a 3Com switch to the Cisco.  IP address is in the subnet assigned to VLAN7
  • •2)      At the 3Com side, the fiber port is set as “hybrid” and is passing VLAN 1 untagged; VLANs 3-8 tagged
  • •3)      At the Cisco side, the fiber port is set as “trunk” and is defined with VLAN 1 untagged and VLANs 3-8 tagged.

• •A)     If I try to change the management interface on the CISCO from VLAN 1 to VLAN 7 (as I would on the 3Com), I lose connectivity over the temporary copper connection
  • •B)      If I remove the temporary copper jumper from the Cisco (keeping the “working” management IP address) and create the fiber link between the 2 switches, I lose connectivity to the management IP

Additional information:

• •-          If I set the 3Com fiber port to “access” and make the fiber connection, I can ping the management interface – but of course, I can’t pass the other VLANs to untagged access ports on the Cisco – and it has the fun side benefit of messing with IP management settings on other 3Com switch stacks attached to the 5500G-EI.  However, it does demonstrate that we can get network traffic communicating over the fiber link between the 2 switches

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can proceed to a) have the management IP address in the IP subnet defined on VLAN 7 while passing the other VLANs to access ports on the Cisco?  BTW, I’m a networking neophyte (it’s a very small part of my job and I do it infrequently), so I prefer to use GUI management to CLI options, although I can perform CLI configuration if presented with the right commands.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  I’ve got a major summer project on hold until this is completed (I’ve got 3 of the Cisco SG-300s that need to be configured and attached to the central 3Com fiber switch).

Everyone's tags (4)
1 REPLY
Green

Problems with fiber connection between 3Com 5500G-EI and Cisco S

Hello Raymond,

The switch has a management VLAN configuration option. You may achieve setting the VLAN 7 as the management VLAN on the IPv4 Interface

Administration > Management Interface > IPv4 Interface

Ensure that when you change the management VLAN to a different VLAN that you associate a port to the VLAN 7 as 7untagged, otherwise you will no longer have access to the switch.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content