Views
Helpful
Replies

Re:Can't able to access shared folders

CSCO11776584
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I supplied 3 numbers of SG300 series switches for the sole reason to have inter-vlan routing. I created 4 VLANs in the switches and made one switch as Layer 3 switch and other 2 as Layer 2 switch. Inter-Vlan routing is working fine. I am able to ping PCs from different VLANs. But I am not to access shared folders. Customer has installed Window 2003 server installed and it is in VLAN 1. There are some folders created in this server and it is very important for users to have access to the folders.Also, I am not able to access shared folders in other VLANs. I have created a case with Cisco small business and I got a reply saying that the switches will not support shared folder feature, which I think is not real. I am getting a very time to implement this solution in the network. I have a Sonicwall firewall after Core switch which is connected to ISP.

ISP<----->Sonicwall FW<----->Core Switch<------>Layer 2 switch<------>Layer 2 switch

Kindly help me out to resolve this issue.

Regards,

Prashant K

1 Reply 1

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello CSCO, It is correct, the switch will not stop you from file sharing unless you have created an access list prohibiting this.

So it begs the question; If you connect a computer in the same VLAN, are you able to access those file shares?

This is most likely a firewall, domain policy, or file sharing network configuration within the Window hosts.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/