Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing a 2960 with an SG300

AndreS2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I "inherited" a small network from a former colleague. It consists of four Cisco 2960 switches (WS-C2960-24TC-L). The switches are connected to each other via GLC-SX-MM= SFP transceivers.

I would like to replace one of these 2960 by a new SG300-52 switch.
I searched for the correct Mini-GBIC to use and think that the model MGBSX1 is the one to use.

If I connect a 2960 with a GLC-SX-MM= SFP transceiver to an SG300 with a MGSBX1 Mini-GBIC, will they be able to talk to each other over this link?

Networking and switching is not my expertise as you can see by my question...but I'm really at a loss here and be very grateful for a good answer!

Regards,

André

2 Replies 2

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Yes, both SFPs are multimode shortwave length units. They will be fine communicating.

cheers,

Seb.

bdp-cisco
Level 1
Level 1
Given the multiple ways I know how to hang a sg300 (i.e. unresolved vulnerabilities, including the fact I cannot delete ACLs from my SG300 with the latest firmware without hanging it), curiously enough I am looking to replace my SG300 with a 2960. Perhaps we should trade.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X