Views
Helpful
Replies

Selection of L2 Switch

satyajeet yadav
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends,

I have two chose a switch between two configuration. Can any one tell me which configuration provides better performance -

Option 1 -

Forwarding bandwidth (switching fabric capacity) - 16 Gbps

Forwarding Rate (switching throughput using 64-Byte Packet size) - 6.5 Mpps

DRAM - 64 MB

Option 2 -

Forwarding bandwidth - 10 Gbps

Forwarding Rate (switching throughput using 64-Byte Packet size) - 6 Mpps

DRAM - 128 MB

Please help in the selection with relevent technical reason.

Thanks

SY

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

satyajeet,

Based on the numbers you presented only I would go with Option 1. It appears to have higher Forwarding Bandwidth/Rate per port if each switch has 24 ports. It's a little strange that Option 2 has more DRAM yet less switching fabric capacity and throughput. I would be interested in knowing the model number of each switch so I could do more research.

- Marty

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

satyajeet,

Do the switches have an equal number of ports?

It appears that the first one has 8 ports and the second has 5 based on the Forwarding bandwidth.

Are they Cisco models?

- Marty

Dear Marty,

Both the switches are of 24 port - 10/100. and rest entire configuration is same in both the switches apart from the differences mentioned above. Please advice me in the selection between these two options. Yes both are of Cisco Model.

Thanks

satyajeet,

Based on the numbers you presented only I would go with Option 1. It appears to have higher Forwarding Bandwidth/Rate per port if each switch has 24 ports. It's a little strange that Option 2 has more DRAM yet less switching fabric capacity and throughput. I would be interested in knowing the model number of each switch so I could do more research.

- Marty

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Before I could give you an answer, I have a good question for you:  What EXACTLY are you trying to achieve?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X