Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

SF300-48P gets error message trying to enable DHCP server in unit

We have a SF300-48P that has been used as a dumb switch.  The network is currently a peer-to-peer with all 30 devices (mixed desktop computers and some printers) having a fixed IP assigned or selected in them.  While trying to add a NAS device the device reported it needed a DHCP connection.  So, checking, I found that the latest firmware for the SF300 has a DHCP server inside it.  (At least that's what I get out of the "features" commnets.)  I downloaded the firmware from Cisco and upgraded the firmware to ver. 1.3.0.62.  I changed the password as required and then went to the "IP configuration".  I tried to check the box for "enable DHCP server" but got an error message something like  "must unplug all DHCP devices".  So I unplugged everthing from the switch except one computer with the IP fixed as 192.168.1.149 and tried to enable the DHCP server again.  But, I got the same error.

Does the SF300 have a DHCP server internally with the ver 1.3.0.62 firmware?  (or, did I misread the meaning?)

If the SF300 can be used as a DHCP server how do I go about enabling it?

( I am a complete n00b when it comes to networking so I will require some step-by-step guidance.)

2 REPLIES
Green

SF300-48P gets error message trying to enable DHCP server in uni

Hi Terry, the switch must be operating in layer 3 mode. Additionally, any vlan interface created must have a static IP address. The error you received is most likely because the default vlan or any other vlan does not have a static IP (assuming you're in layer 3 already)

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

SF300-48P gets error message trying to enable DHCP server in uni

I understand the idea of a static IP address.  But, what is Layer 3 Mode?  And how do you achieve that in a SF300-48P?  (note the n00b comment in my first post.)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content