cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG 300 - 10 mp - Can't log on at all, router does not respond

01unkeled02
Level 1
Level 1

Newly purchased SG300. Got the firmware updated, entered new password and user name. Started getting ready to configure the switch this morning for the first time and my browser times out every time I try 192.168.1.254. IPconfig is no help. Switch connects to laptop just fine and sees the broadband cable modem (Motorola 6141), but no way to get into it right now, even using the reset switch and powering down multiple times. Can someone help on this. O/S is Win7 Pro 64 Bit.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edward,

Give your PC a static IP:

IP Address: 192.168.1.200

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default GW: None

DNS: None

With the switch removed from the network you should be able to reach it at 192.168.1.254

- Marty

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

trgood
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Edward,

Often those SG300s will get an IP address via DHCP.  If you have an IOS device that supports CDP around you can connect it and see if the SG300 shows up as a neighbor and then find out its IP address from that.

From IOS the command is show cdp entry *

Let me know if that helps,

-Trent Good

-Trent Good ** Please rate useful posts! **

Thanks Trent, unfortunately, don't have an IOS device available. Have two laptops, both Windoz, one 7, one xp, and no serial ports so I have to go out from the RJ45 directly and into the switch. I can't ping the address the switch is supposed to be at 192.168.1.254. I have it on DHCP right now but even assigning a static port hasen't allowed me to get to it. I can ping the static port and see the return, but I can't log on.

I don't think it likes me

Hi Edward,

In that case I would isolate the swith from the network.  Then reboot it and log into it as w/out DHCP it will default to 192.168.1.254.

Alternatively you can also look for its entry in your DHCP server table.

-Trent Good ** Please rate useful posts! **

Hi Trent, one detail not mentioned, did you save any configuration? If losing the configuration is not an option, I would recommend to use the console. If your computer doesn't support a 9 pin serial, buy a usb to serial adapter. Prolific makes a good one for about $15.

Another idea, you can download a computer application for CDP. You can google "CDP applications for Windows" as an example.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

I didn't save any configurations. Basically, except for the password change and the firmware upgrade, the switch is an it came out of the box. Right now I have the laptop on DHCP. If I change DHCP within Windoz, I will have to assign a static IP. Should it be the Switch default? Thanks for the help, BTW

Edward,

Give your PC a static IP:

IP Address: 192.168.1.200

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default GW: None

DNS: None

With the switch removed from the network you should be able to reach it at 192.168.1.254

- Marty

Thankyou, took me a while, had to use the other laptop. The switch came up immediately. Logged in immediately. Problem seems solved thanks to all your help.

BTW, any suggestions on cdp apps to monitor the switch?

Hi Edward, I use Cisco CDP Monitor. It is a free downloadd off of cnet. Please keep in mind, this is a 3rd party program.

http://download.cnet.com/Cisco-CDP-Monitor/3000-2085_4-78444.html

Here's a screen shot from my desktop with it showing my sf300 switch.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X