Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG 300 10 - Multicast with multiple switches in LAN

Hi there,

I have short question concerning Multicast in my LAN. My internet router acts as an IGMP Proxy for the LAN and distributes IPTV there. The router is connected to one of my three SG 300 10 Cisco switches (connected to one another via uplink port). Now I want all switches to send multicast traffic to only the recipients of such traffic (PCs with VLC and Network Media Players) connected to either one of them. How do I have to configure the switches to do so and not flood the LAN with multicast traffic, is it enough to enable IGMP Snooping on each switch?

Thanks in advance and best regards

Christoph

2 Replies 2

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Christopher, by the default the switch will treat multicast traffic like a broadcast until you enable the Bridge Multicast Filter and IGMP snooping.

Navigate to; Multicast -> Properties and enable the Bridge Multicast Filtering

Navigate IGMP snooping -> Enable

Multicast -> Multicast Router Port

Then make sure to specify the mrouter port (which must be a member of a static vlan, not a dynamic vlan)

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Thomas,

thanks a lot for your quick response and your support!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X