cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-08 port mirroring only sees one side of the traffic

lacroix01
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem with the mirroring of port on my SG200-08 that I just purchased.  The firmware is 1.0.6.2.

I mirror the port g1, to which my router to the Internet is connected, to the port g2 to be able to see the traffic with a Centos system running Bandwidthd connected to the port g2.  The problem is that I only see the traffic coming in (downloads from the Internet) and not the traffic comming out (uploads to the Internet).  Note that if I replace the SG200 switch by a plain hub, I see both side of the traffic.

When looking at the SG 200-08 on the web interface at "Status and Statistics/Interface" and looking at the port g2, I see values for the "Transmit Statistics", but all the values are at 0 for the "Received Statisticsc" (see the attached file)

I confirmed that in "Administration/Diagnostic/Port Mirroring" is set up both Tx and Rx (it does not work either if I have Tx or Rx alone: I do not see the uploda traffic to the Internet). See the attached file.

This is very annoying as I purchased this SG 200-08 especially for this and it does not do the job porperly.

Does anybody knows a solution to this?

2 Replies 2

firebird908
Level 1
Level 1
I have the same problem on firmware 1.0.7.4.

I thought about updating the firmware to 1.0.7.4: obviously this will not solve the problem!

I bought the SG200-08 as my router (RVS4000) that is also supposed to mirror a port only sees also one side of the traffic: the opposite side of the SG200-08.  But, this is still only one side!  I am not lucky in my "Quest-for-a-managed-switch-to-monitor-traffic-using-port-mirroring" with Cisco equipment.

I also found another problem that has been reported: the switch cannot make a connection to an NFS share as the UDP SYN packet is now dropped in ports <1024, which prevent initiating a connection to an NFS share.

This is too much bug in the firmware for my taste: I bought this last Friday and it will go back to the store and I will find another solution: putting a hub instead of a managed swith as this is working great).  It is just that this hub is old and heaths a lot!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X