cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-08 (SLM2008T) dual/redundant power

juras2001
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco SG200-08 (SLM2008T) Gigabit Switch can obtain power from a standard 802.3af PoE source (as PoE-PD on port 1) or from an external AC power supply, but is it possible to connect & use PoE-PD thru Port1 and external power supply at the same time, i.e. simultaneously and permanently without any problems - in fact as a redundant (dual) power solution?

In other words does the SG200-08 switch contains some circuit to allow connect both power options permanently for all the life of the switch without any risk of the switch/external power supply/POE Power Supply Equipment damages (e.g. O'Ring diodes, Active O'Ring controller etc.)? If yes, how is such power condition indicated (different color of system & port LED etc)?

It's very important for us as such switch would be used to connect UPS network management card, i.e. in condition of intermittent power failures.

1 Reply 1

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I honestly don't see a problem with it. In fact, there is a caveat with with larger switches that support inline POE which can incorrectly supply POE due to false detection to other switches. Even on that circumstance with normal power operation I'm not aware of any damage.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X