cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-08 switch - POE voltage required (POE Injector possible?)

diegoga
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I've just purchased an SG200-08 port switch that I'd like to deliver 2 POE ports.

Is the SG200-08 (not 08P) supposed to work as a PSE for other POE PDs?

Additionally, is it anywhere documented which type of POE Input voltage is needed for this switch in Port 1?

The question is because I do have a 24v POE injector that I'd like to use to power this switch, but in the specifications this switch is supposed to receive only 12v.

Any recommendations? Will I burn the switch if I connect a 24v POE injector in port 1 ?

Tks for your help

Diego

3 Replies 3

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

The SG200-08 has no PSE capability. It can accept PoE from an upstream switch or injector, but it can't power other devices. If you connect an injector to the upstream switch and try to power the SG200-08 via port 1, it should come up as long as you can deliver 12V and 1A. I have heard of people using injectors up to 48V and not having any trouble, so 24V shouldn't be a problem. The nice thing about PoE is that power is not supplied unless it is requested by the downstream, and even then, only what the device requests... so you won't be running the risk of burning it out.

Thanks Jody for your response.

So, I cannot use the SG200-08 to power any kind of device... too bad (for me).

Getting any PoE-powered switch to power downstream devices is a challenge. With PoE+ we may see that change.

The only Cisco switches I know of that can do this are some of the 2960C and 3560C units... and even they require two feeds from the upstream device for limited downstream PoE support. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X