cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-26 26-Port Gigabit Smart Switch and mini-GBIC

kgatson01
Level 1
Level 1

I have just been given the go ahead to replace out existing fiber to ethernet converters over to mini-gbic. Great right! I though so until I started working with the SG200-26 26-Port Gigabit Smart Switch and the Proline MGBSX1-CDW. I plug in the mini-GBIC and it is recognized by the SG200 as being present but it says nothing about the fiber connected. The port type never changes to represent the fiber that is connected to the switch. I am using 62.5/125 MM-2.0x4.1 patch cable and I get absolutely nothing from them. No traffic, no switch recognition, nothing. Can anyone help me with this? I've tried different mini-GBIC's, I've tried using port GE25, different cables, and rebooting the switch.  Still nothing. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The best I can recall, this device never had a software issue to detect link state from fiber.

Before doing anything too crazy, why not test the physical connectivity?

Create a loop by flipping the rx and tx on the fiber and plug it into the SG200. That will make the switch detect loopback. If the switch reads correctly then chances are the issue isn't the switch, wire or GBIC but instead whatever it is connecting to.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

mdobiac
Level 3
Level 3

Hello kgatson01,

Here is the datasheet for the SG200 that will show the support modules for the SG200.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/small-business-100-series-unmanaged-switches/data_sheet_c78-634369.html

key word:  module, to find it faster on the datasheet.

Hope this helps,

Michael D.

If this post is helpful please rate or mark as correct.

Thanks mdobiac for the response and yes I've confirmed that the MGBSX1 is the correct SFP for the SG200-26.

kgatson01,

Thank you for the follow up.  It looks like you have what you need for our switch.  

Thinks you can look into on the switch.  First to eliminate it being a issue with software make sure the switch is using the current firmware located here:  https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283771818&softwareid=282463182&release=1.4.1.03&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Make sure to upgrade the bootcode first using TFTP.  Boot code is 1.3.5.06.  Then upgrade the firmware 1.4.1.3.  This is if you are on 1.1.2.0 firmware.

Now for the connection is it a fiber link between 2 SG200s or is there another switch involved?

Regards,

Michael D.

If this post is helpful please rate or mark as correct.

Michael,

I honestly haven't updated the firmware but I will do that and let you know how that turns out. No, the fiber is from the termination point in our server room and into the SFP which is in the SG200-26.

The SFP is recognized by the switch but shows not connection\activity from the fiber once its connected to it. I know that the fiber is working because I am disconnecting it from the fiber to ethernet converter which has activity.

The best I can recall, this device never had a software issue to detect link state from fiber.

Before doing anything too crazy, why not test the physical connectivity?

Create a loop by flipping the rx and tx on the fiber and plug it into the SG200. That will make the switch detect loopback. If the switch reads correctly then chances are the issue isn't the switch, wire or GBIC but instead whatever it is connecting to.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Tom\Everybody,

Thanks to everyone who commented and made helpful suggestions regarding this issue. I tested all of the SFP's and found the offending SFP. I got a replacement SFP and all is well. The SFP had an intermittent error and once replaced data began to flow as it should.

Thanks to all!