Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-26 DHCP-Feature not working?

frankgreber
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I bought a SG200-26 switch and wanted to replace some old Netgear switches with it. With the old, simple Netgear switches everything worked. With the SG200-26 the only way to get a connection to the switch is to set the IP address to manual. I want the switch to automatically distribute IP adresses and activated the DHCP feature in the web interface, but it still doesn't work. I also tried to restore it to factory default and updated it to the latest firmware, but this also didn't help. I really prefer the switch to handle this. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Frank

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Frank,

The 200 series of switches does not have being a DHCP server as a feature.  The 300s and higher have DHCP server as an option on them, but the 200 does not since it is just a layer 2 switch.

If you don't like having to set a static on your PC you can always plug the switch into a network that has DHCP running.  At defaults the switch will pull a DHCP address for itself, then you can check your DHCP server for what address it got and use that for admin access without having to set a static on your PC.

Hope that helps, and thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Frank,

The 200 series of switches does not have being a DHCP server as a feature.  The 300s and higher have DHCP server as an option on them, but the 200 does not since it is just a layer 2 switch.

If you don't like having to set a static on your PC you can always plug the switch into a network that has DHCP running.  At defaults the switch will pull a DHCP address for itself, then you can check your DHCP server for what address it got and use that for admin access without having to set a static on your PC.

Hope that helps, and thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X