Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-26 password reset

emonge4242
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

New in a company that have 2 SG200-26, The system administrator left without giving any password.

Is there a way to reset the password, I can't find something that applies on thos switches.

The best would be to reset the password without reseting the configuration as our company relies on the network...

Thanks for your help.

8 Replies 8

Davidwagman1
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Eric,

Do you have serial access to the physical switch? Reboot the switch. You will see a prompt during boot right after the cisco logo made out of #s that says "Autoboot in 2 seconds - press RETURN or Esc. to abort and enter prom."

Hit return, and you will get the following startup menu:

Startup Menu

Download Software

Erase Flash File

Password Recovery Procedure

Set Terminal Baud-Rate

Stack menu

Back

Enter your choice or press 'ESC' to exit:

You'll want Password Recovery Procedure and follow the prompts to reset the password without erasing your config file.

My SG's baud rate is set to 115200, but I don't know if thats the default.

Let me know how it goes.

Best,

David

Please rate helpful posts.

Hi David! It work's for Cisco Small Business 300 Series Smart Switches  ( SG300-20 ) too! Thank you!

P.S. baud rate 115200 is used by default

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for confirming the baud. Glad to hear it worked on your SG300-20.

Please rate helpful posts.

Best,

David

Hello David!

I am new to Cisco equipment. Could you please tell me where is the console port on

SG200-26P? Do I need a special COM port cable to access console?

Regards,

Kirill

Hi Kirill, this box does not have a console connection. If the password is lost, a factory reset must be performed holding reset for 30 seconds.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom!

Thank you for answer! But i am completely lost :). What is David talking about?

In fact in the manual of this switch I found exactly same procedure, like David describes, for boot password reset. The only question is that I do not understand how to to get to boot screen

Regards, Kirill

On a SX300 series that is true, not on a SX200 series.

Here is a document for the SX300 with most of the process for a SX300 model.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-27000

You'll notice on step 4 to use option 3 instead if you want to recover a password.

If you're using a SX300 then you can do this, if you're using a SX200 you cannot.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Ok Tom, it is clear now.

SG300-26 has console port, but SG200-26 does not.

Thank you for help!

Regards,

Kirill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X