Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-26P can't ping hosts

Matt Tidd
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I just bought two SG200-26P switches for my LAN.  We have bought these models before and had no problems, but this time I have the switches stacked in my office so that I can test a configuration before I try implementing it on my production LAN.  So far I've... Changed the IP's to match our scheme (the previous switches are DHCP), Attached two laptops to the switches (one per switch) and a Crossover cable between the two of them on port 25 (on each switch). 

Now, I can ping the switches from the hosts and the communitcation over the Crossover (trunk) seems to be working.  However, when I try to ping the hosts... all I get is timeouts.  I keep thinking I should now this and how to fix it but I just can't seem to put my finger on it.  I've done some digging but come up empty and after every failed attempt I've reverted back to the previous settings so the switches are pretty much in their default configurations.

At this point I am about ready to reset them both and see if I can get them to just plug and play with the network to rule out any sort of possible pre-existing issues.  Just something about it feels familiar some how.

Thanks,

Matt

1 Reply 1

Matt Tidd
Level 1
Level 1

I feel dumb.

Turns out that my netbook is somehow unpingable on the network.  Odds are it's the antivirus that I run.  Changed over to a different laptop that is already part of the domain and running the company antivirus and everything is as expected.  Goes to show you should assume nothing when dealing with networks.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X