cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200 boot loader and firmware upgrade order

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I know how to use tftp to upgrade the device but was wondering if there is any particular order I need to follow.  For example, can I just upload boot _and_ fw in one session and reboot the switch?  Or should I maybe just do boot code only, reload switch and then firmware?  Does it matter?  I have two switches with following specs

SwitchA: SG200-50 V01 1.0.0.1/1.0.0.19

SwitchB: SG200-50 V02 1.1.0.6/1.1.1.8

I would like to take both to 1.3.5.06/1.3.7.18

Thanks,

Diego

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Diego,

I would recommend uploading both the firmware and boot code and then rebooting once.  I have done it all three ways, but the preferred way would be upload both and then reboot the switch once.

Just keep in mind the switch will take longer then usual to boot up the first time once you upgrade the bootcode because it is making changes to the file system.  On the SG300 or higher you could watch this process with a console cable, but since the 200s don't have console access you'll just need to wait.

It can take up to 5-10 minutes for that first boot, I always say whenever it feels like it's been too long, wait another few minutes and then it will be up and running.

Oh, and in case you were wondering there shouldn't be any problem going directly to the latest firmware, there is no need to step up.  I would however recommend defaulting and manually reconfiguring the switches once you upgrade them.  Since there have been quite a few changes you will be better off with a new config based on the new firmware.  It isn't always necessary, but if you do have any issues once you upgrade it would be the first thing we would have you do if you called in for support.

Hope that helps, and thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Diego,

I would recommend uploading both the firmware and boot code and then rebooting once.  I have done it all three ways, but the preferred way would be upload both and then reboot the switch once.

Just keep in mind the switch will take longer then usual to boot up the first time once you upgrade the bootcode because it is making changes to the file system.  On the SG300 or higher you could watch this process with a console cable, but since the 200s don't have console access you'll just need to wait.

It can take up to 5-10 minutes for that first boot, I always say whenever it feels like it's been too long, wait another few minutes and then it will be up and running.

Oh, and in case you were wondering there shouldn't be any problem going directly to the latest firmware, there is no need to step up.  I would however recommend defaulting and manually reconfiguring the switches once you upgrade them.  Since there have been quite a few changes you will be better off with a new config based on the new firmware.  It isn't always necessary, but if you do have any issues once you upgrade it would be the first thing we would have you do if you called in for support.

Hope that helps, and thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

Worked perfectly!

Thanks