Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-10mp Fibre Link aggregation

as00000016
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 SG300-10mp switches which i am trying to create a link redundancy for over the two fibre ports.

On the web interface when i go into the LAG settings ports g9 and g10 which are the fibre ones don't show up.

How do i create the link aggregation between them? Or perhaps i'm doing the wrong thing... All i require is the two switches to function as normal, however should one fibre port become faulty or the cable to break, the over port just takes over straight away with no latency, or atleast very minimal.

Please help!                

2 Replies 2

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ashley, you can accomplish this by simply running 2 redundant links. Spanning tree can be used as a fail over mechanism.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hello Ashley,

I think I see where the confusion is here.

When you are looking at the LAG settings page, the 8 things you see listed represent the 8 possible LAGs that the switch can handle, the page actually looks exactly the same even with a 24 port switch.  You are seeing the LAGs themselves, not your individual switchports.

If you go to LAG management, you should be able to select one of those 8 LAGs and click the edit button.  The window that pops up should allow you to add both fiber ports to the LAG.  I don't have one of these in front of me right now, but since the SFP slots on the 300's are combo ports they will probably be numbered as whatever the ethernet port combo'ed to the SFP slot is.

Simply add the ports you would like to the LAG, and check LACP if you are using it on the other switch (you cannot change this setting later, you would have to delete the LAG first).

This way you have the redundancy you are looking over with the added benefit of having more throughput available between those two switches, since the traffic will be load-balanced across the LAG. 

A LAG will also failover much faster than two redundant links, since it won't have to go through the Spanning Tree process everytime a link state changes.

Like I said I don't have one of these in front of me right now, so if I messed something up let me know and I will try it in the lab tomorrow.

Let me know if you need any more information,

Christopher Ebert

---

Senior Network Support Engineer - Cisco Small Business Support Center

*Please rate helpful posts*

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X