Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SG300 20 Port and RV180

Hi There

I  am looking for some advice as i am very new to the configuration aspect  of network switches and routers, i have an RV180 router connected to a  SG300-20 switch which then connects digital signage hosts together.

They  are basic linux based small form factor PC behind Large LED displays,  with a master Publisher that manages the other subscribers (1 Publisher  and 8 Subscribers).

So  i am only Connecting at most 10 of the 20 ports of the switch, i  currently have the RV180 connected to a ISP Modem and now have internet  access to all the devices on the network for such things as Rss Feed,  Weather and News etc, The Main publisher host has an in built tuner card  so it can stream video (Digital Freeview or FreeSat) to the  subscribers, Packet format is Mpeg(Ts)/UDP/IP/Ethernet(Multicast) and  also using SAP protocol announcements.

Basically  iam looking for a recommended config setup for the switch and the  router, as out of the box Vlan 1 just seems to work but i feel there  must be a better way to configure and deploy this setup.

Many Thanks for any Help

5 REPLIES
Green

SG300 20 Port and RV180

Hi Craig, there is not really anything to advise. Essentially you're saying everything is working then asking how to set it up. Do you have a symptom? Do you have a feature requirement? Do you have a design requirement?

If your goal is basic connectivity and not more, you've achieved that and that's cool.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

SG300 20 Port and RV180

Hi Tom

Thanks for the reply yeah it did sound a stupid request for help as the out of box config just seemed to work, but its more of a Guidance and best practice thing for this type of setup if you had any words of wisdom that would be great.

there also was a symptom reported a few times, we had installed this a few months ago and all was well no proplems reported, then they loss communication with the switch and could not see any on the devices connected.

Now the switch never reverted back to its orginal config or anything like that, the System led on the SG300 was not flashing so the Static ip address was still set, but no communication with the switch either by GUI or Telnet (it was enabled).

after a factory reset it picked up an DHCP address from the RV180, then i changed it back to it assigned address as per my design, saved config, copied Running config to Startup config, reboot and all was fine.

a week passed and the client called again same thing, no devices could see each other and i could not communicate with the SG300.

its on our test bench just now and has been working with a light work load and is still fine, firmware is at the latest for the SG300.

Many thanks for any help

Green

Re: SG300 20 Port and RV180

Hi Craig, what software version are you running? I know there are some bugs related to SNTP that could cause some odd symptoms that have been resolved on the new release.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

SG300 20 Port and RV180

HI Tom

Software Information

482fea5c6731bc9d2739fcea78235720
fe409d47cd64cdd2330d75f3b89be9f9
8c6b1f42c0754ab9c70324a815a45f08
en-US
N/A
Green

SG300 20 Port and RV180

Hi Craig, can you do a command  show logging file and see if the switch reported a condition?

I can't think of any recent activities the causes the switch to seize. I recall there was a bonjour issue over a year ago that caused certain freezes but really nothing of recent.

-Tom

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content