cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-20 - Problems with Forwarding and Learning MACs until Write

jeff-rogers
Level 1
Level 1

I have an SG300-20 and started having problems a few weeks ago.  Primarily the problem is related to rebooting systems, waking systems from sleep, or any other activity such as speed/duplex changes on the host that cause the host NIC to cycle.  Regardless of how the host NIC "goes down", when the host NIC "turns up" it shows connected on the host and switch, but the SG300 refuses to learn the MAC.  The only remedy seems to be the write command.  Immediately after the write command is issued there is delay from 0 to a few seconds, then L2 connectivity returns.

Also, a new problem cropped-up during testing after changing the mode to "route."  If I reload the switch it stops forwarding all traffic until a write command is issued.

Anyone see these symptoms and have a solution?

Thanks,

Jeff

26 Replies 26

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Jeff, first, what software version do you use?

Seconds, have you looked at any of the Energy Efficient Ethernet settings? (You may want to disable them).

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response.

I have tested both the previous release (1.3.0.36 I believe) as well as the most recent release 1.3.5.58.  Also, I have tried just about every EEE and Green-Ethernet setting possible, including disabling EEE and GreenEth.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, it may be spanning tree related or it could be software related.

Does the switch have any config on it in particular?

Globally disable spanning tree and see what happens.  Do you have a second switch around? May be test with a completely default switch and see if the behavior follows.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried disabling all of the following at one time or another:

-CDP

-LLDP

-Bonjour

-EEE

-Green-Ethernet

-SmartPort Global

-SmartPort on interface

I have also tried the following:

-STP Portfast

-Downgrading firmware

-Upgrading firmware

-Factory reset

-Hard setting speed and duplex (1000F, 100F, 100H)

-Autonegotiation (100F, 100F, 100H, slave, master)

-With Flowcontrol

-Without Flowcontrol

-MDIX on

-MDIX off

-Router mode

-Switch mode

-with NTP configured

-without NTP configured

-with Syslog configured

-without syslog configured

-with only a basic config after reset:  one vlan with the mgmnt address and one access port (and also with two access ports)

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

Forgot to mention....

Also have tried disabling STP - no luck.

Hi Jeff,

sorry for my very late answer,

my problem is solved - i got a new sg300 from cisco and sold it on ebay....

Another symptom I saw again, but only once in past testing is that after a reload, all ports seem to bounce up and down continuously, even though the port lights do not show up/down status.  I have only seen this twice, and I get continuous logs to the console when it happens.  Again, none of the ports learn MACs and only a write command seems to correct it.

It sounds very similar to the following case: 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3959254#3959254

In my opinion this switch has a hardware problem.  How do I get it swapped under warranty?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, from the US 1.866.606.1866

Here's a list by country

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

-Tom

Hi Jeff,

is your case solved? I have still the same problem. After powering on the switch only a write mem command via the serial console brings it to work. I'm running the latest firmware and bootloader (FW 1.3.5.58) and made already factory reset. Were your problems hardware affected?

regards, Christian

Christian,

No solution yet.  And I'm stuck in Cisco's support hell....there bussines support is located in China (UTC+8) which means only one email exchange a day.  At this rate we'll be running IPv8 before it's fixed...

Will post if I get a fix.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

thanks for your quick response. So we have to wait... Thanks so far!

Hi Jeff and Christian, can you give exact step to recreate? I'm having problems to recreate the problem.

Is this dependent on a certain network card or device?

Please provide the exact step by step how you can create this problem and if it is localized to any 1 type of connection or all connections.

-Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response.

Steps to recreate my issue:

1.  Factory reset SG300-20

2.  Ping from Host A to Host B and/or vice versa

3.  Ping unsuccessful until “write” command issued

Notes:

- Upon issuing write command, connectivity is either immediate or up to a few seconds later

- Until a write command is issued, the “sh mac address-table” command shows no MACs except that of the switch itself on port 0

Also, I see these same symptoms for a host if the NIC on the host transitions (down/up).  Upon a transition the switch does not learn the MAC address and the “sh mac address-table” command shows no MAC for the host NIC that transitioned.

BTW - I appreciate your help and quick responses and I did open a TAC ticket.  However, it is frustrating that the TAC resource is UTC+8, only provides support during their work hours, and does not provide a local phone number.

Thanks,

Jeff 

Jeff, I can't recreate this.

switch0d8210#set system mode switch                                  

Changing the switch working mode will *delete* the startup configuration file                                                                            

and reset the device right after that. It is highly recommended that you will                                                                            

backup it before changing the mode, continue ? (Y/N)[N] Y                                                        

switch0d8210#10-Oct-2013 17:19:08 %FILE-I-DELETE: File Delete - file URL flash:/                                                                               

/startup-config              

switch0d8210#reload                  

You haven't saved your changes. Are you sure you want to continue ? (Y/N)[N] Res                                                                               

etting local unit                

**************************************************                                                 

*****************  SYSTEM                        

Boot1 Checksum Test...............................PASS                                                     

Boot2 Checksum Test...............................PASS                                                     

Flash Image Validation Test.......................PASS                                                    

BOOT Software Version 1.3.5.06 Built  21-Jul-2013  15:12:10                                                          

#                               #                                                    

###                             ###                                                     

#      ###      #               #      ###      #                                                            

###     ###     ###             ###     ###     ###                                                             

#      ###     ###     ###      #      ###     ###     ###      #                                                                    

###     ###     ###     ###     ###                                        

###     ###     ###     ###     ###     ###     ###     ###     ###                                                                     

###     ###     ###     ###     ###     ###     ###     ###     ###                                                                     

#       #      ###      #       #       #      ###      #       #                                                                    

#                               #                                                    

#######   ###    #######       #######      #####                                                            

#########   ###   ###    ##    #########    #########                                                              

###          ###    ####       ###          ###     ###                                                               

###          ###      ###      ###          ###     ###                                                               

###          ###       ####    ###          ###     ###                                                               

#########   ###   ##    ###    #########    #########                                                              

#######   ###    #######       #######      #####                                                            

Networking device with Marvell ARM CPU core. 128 MByte SDRAM.                                                            

I-Cache 16 KB. D-Cache 16 KB. L2 Cache 256 KB. Cache Enabled.                                                            

MAC Address   :  00:26:0b:0d:82:10.                                  

Autoboot in 2 seconds - press RETURN or Esc. to abort and enter prom.                                                                    

Preparing to decompress...                         

100%    

Decompressing SW from image-1                            

100%    

OK 

Running from RAM...                  

GPIO ID is 3           

Module type is 10                

Device ID 0xdff411ab                   

*********************************************************************                                                                    

*** Running  SW  Ver. 1.3.5.58  Date  10-Oct-2013  Time  17:15:41 ***                                                                    

*********************************************************************                                                                    

HW version is V01                

Base Mac address is: 00:26:0b:0d:82:10                                     

Dram size is  : 128M bytes                         

Dram first block size is  : 102912K bytes                                        

Dram first PTR is  : 0x1780000                             

Dram second block size is  : 4096K bytes                                       

Dram second PTR is  : 0x7C00000                              

Flash size is: 16M                 

................................................................................                                                                               

................................................................................                                                                               

.....10-Oct-2013 17:15:44 %CDB-I-LOADCONFIG: Loading running configuration.                                                                          

10-Oct-2013 17:15:44 %CDB-I-LOADCONFIG: Loading startup configuration.                                                                     

Device configuration:                    

Slot 1 - SG300-28P                 

Device 0: GT_98DX3025 (AlleyCat)                               

------------------------------------                                   

-- Unit Standalone                --                                   

------------------------------------                                   

Tapi Version: v1.9.6                   

Core Version: v1.9.6                   

10-Oct-2013 17:16:20 %INIT-I-InitCompleted: Initialization task is completed                                                                           

Detected speed: 115200                     

10-Oct-2013 17:16:34 %Entity-I-SEND-ENT-CONF-CHANGE-TRAP: entity configuration c                                                                               

hange trap.          

10-Oct-2013 17:16:34 %SNMP-I-CDBITEMSNUM: Number of running configuration items                                                                              

loaded: 0        

10-Oct-2013 17:16:34 %SNMP-I-CDBITEMSNUM: Number of startup configuration items                                                                              

loaded: 0        

The SSH Server is generating a default RSA key.                                              

This may take a few minutes, depending on the key size.                                                      

10-Oct-2013 17:16:35 %Environment-I-FAN-STAT-CHNG: FAN# 1 status changed - opera                                                                               

tional.      

The SSH Server is generating a default DSA key.                                              

10-Oct-2013 17:17:20 %SYSLOG-N-LOGGING:                                      

The SSH Client is generating a default RSA key.  

User Name:cisco              

Password:

This may take a few minutes, depending on the key size.e default settings. Please change the passwor         

The SSH Client is generating a default DSA key.                     

d for better protection

10-Oct-2013 17:18:16 %SSL-I-SSLCTASK: Starting autogeneration of self-signed cer                          

Aging time is 300 sec                    

switchb2

tificate - 1024 bitsitchb29140#wr mem  

Generating RSA private key, 1024 bit long modulus Port       Type                                

10-Oct-2013 17:18:24 %SSL-I-SSLCTASK: Autogeneration of self-signed certificate                                        

1       e0:5f:b9:b2:91:40       0

was successfully completed                         

Generating RSA private key, 1024 bit long modulush mac address-tab                             

User Name:         

press ENTER key to retry authentication

User Name:

Detected speed: 115200

User Name:cisco

Password:*****

Please change your password from the default settings. Please change the passwor

d for better protection of your network. Do you want to change the password (Y/N

)[Y] ?N

switch0d8210#show mac address-table

Aging time is 300 sec

Vlan        Mac Address         Port       Type

-------- --------------------- ---------- ----------

1       00:26:0b:0d:82:10       0         self

1       64:31:50:1c:50:d3      gi3      dynamic

1       d0:67:e5:56:14:32      gi2      dynamic

switch0d8210#

-Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X