cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-52 switch - large latency when pinging connected devices

zshiglov2000
Level 1
Level 1

We installed SG300-52 switch on the network. When 2 servers attached to that switch and we try to ping one server from another we get latency that varries from 6ms to 52ms instead of <1ms. Swith is running in L2 mode with latest firmware (1.3.0.62) and all of the settings are pretty much as default. Did anybody came across this problem and was able to resolve it?

7 Replies 7

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Igor, do those servers have a default gateway? What happens with a simple point to point connection?

server <-> switch <-> server

What happens if you ping the switch IP address? Ping the gateway IP address? Trace to the gateway? Trace between server?

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hello Tom,

Thank you for your reply. To answer your questions:

1. Yes switch has gateway IP set.

2. Not sure what you mean by simple point to point connection, but when we ping one servers from another which are connected in the following way we get latency (server <-> switch <-> server)

3. If we ping switch IP from the server we get latency as well.

4. When pinging gateway IP we get latency

5. Trace to gateway 1 hop and latency (see below)

C:\Users\Administrator>tracert 192.168.0.1

Tracing route to 192.168.0.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 161 ms 296 ms 178 ms 192.168.0.1

Trace complete.

6. Trace between servers produces latency as well.

Hi Igor, the only way to troubleshoot this effectively is to pick apart the network and network elements.

If you have a maintenance time, I'd recommend to disconnect the switch off the network and connect a computer to it to see if you're experience this latency. If not, I'd then test with that server to see if the problem is with the server. If the symptom is not present for either test then there is a problem beyond the switch.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hello Tom,

There are 10 servers connected to that switch and it doesn't matter which server I do ping from I alway get latency. It is less at night, but even than latency never drops below 4ms from any server.

Thank you

Igor

I am having exactly the same problem with my SG300-52. My servers (VMware 5.1 virtual) are seeing intermittent very large latency which gets worse under higher load (business hours). I have tried updating both the switch and the NIC firmware.

Igor, were you able to resolve your issue? Let me know if you've come up with anything in the last few months.

Hi,

Just wondered if any of you solved this problem?

I have purchase 2 of these switches and one has this same problem.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12401841/sg500xg-8f8t-16-port-10-gigabit-stackable-managed-switches-slow-ping-times

Any help would be useful?

Thanks.

James

Hi James,

there are few aspects which needs to checked:

1. if there are no errors or drop packets on respective interfaces which would indicate some physical connection problem;

2. default settings for TCP SYN-FIN protection is enabled and perhaps default threshold should be changed accordingly to network needs

Regards,

Aleksandra

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X