Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

SG300 And SVI Routing...

Hello,

I'm looking to connect a switch to my home ASUS router and I know the router doesn't support direct VLAN tagging.

So my solution is to buy a SG300 and do the L3 routing and VLAN tagging directly on that instead. 

My questions are the following:

1. Does the SG300 support SVI capability?

2. Does the SG300 have a layer 3 mode? I looked in the admin guide but couldn't find if that's supported.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Eric,

Eric,

As manage device, yes it has Layer 3 mode. Check this in the system summary, if you found that it is on L2 you can go to Administration > System settings.

I hope you found this information helpful.

Hello,

Hello,

I have a an ASUS AC88U router which does not directly support VLAN tagging. I want to be able to circumvent that "lack of functionality" by introducing a Cisco SG300 switch between that router and a ESXi server with 6 physical NIC cards. The goal is to have at least 4 of the NIC cards on a separate VLAN for essentially training purposes within my home lab environment.

My thoughts are the following:

1. Connect the SG300 to my ASUS Router by way of a ROUTER on a Stick connection.

2. Have the ports for each of my NIC cards on the server connected to the SG300 as a individual broadcast domain with a VLAN and IP assigned (L3).

My questions and/or concerns are do you think this will work? I know the server NIC cards connected to the SG300 will work, but how to get that traffic successfully passed to the ASUS Router, not directly supporting VLANs is a concern.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My goal is simply to use VLANs within my environment with a home router that doesn't directly (not part of the firmware build) support VLANs.

ASUS Router ----- > Cisco SG300 ----- > Server

Thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content