cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 bootloader upgrade

patrick.hurley
Level 3
Level 3

For the new .ros I received because of a bug, they gave me a new bootloader. How do I update the bootloader?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

8 Replies 8

viningele
Level 3
Level 3

You have to download a SFTP / SCP server or a TFTP server onto your PC if you don't have one already.  I forget which but it's apparent on the switch when you get to choose the update method.

I downloaded a free version for the ones I mentioned from SolarWinds.  When you install the program it will install a directory, C:\TFTP-Root or C:\SFTP_Root, I have both becuase one is needed for the switch and the other something else that escapes me.  If you use something other than SolarWinds the root directory may have a different name and be in a different location but the installer should let you know so pay attention. 

Drop your .ros file into the appropriate root directory and then point your switch to that PC's IP for the update and enter the file name for the file you dropped in the folder. 

Oh, and make sure you open the program you downloaded and start the server.  The switch can't connect if the server ain't running. 

On the SFTP / SCP server there's a drop down arrow on the bottom of the window by "stopped" that give you the start option.  The TFTP server you need to click >File>Configure and start on that pop up.

Stop your server when done.

Vingele, can you help me on how to upgrade Bootloader. I can see I need to do it using ssh or similar, but is there a guide somewhere?

I'm running:

Firmware 1.3.5.58

Boot Version 1.0.0.4

I guess I have to downgrade firmware, then upgrade bootloader and finally upgrade firmware to latest build. Is this correct?

I do have a CCNA, so understand networking, but never used ssh on my SG300 and never upgrade anything using CLI.

Hello,

how upload firmware and boot code via concole?

here how you do it

look at picutre computer IP 192.168.1.101

in this picture boot code is sx300_boot-13506.rfb

and firmware file is sx300_fw-13558.ros  firmware version 1.3.5.58

customer want you as Cisco engineer use CLI for load boot code and firmware

step 1: login to console

step 2: show version    ( you see firmware version )

step 3: show bootvar    ( show command let you see two image version in switch, ACtive* mean active image in switch, see picture 2 )

step 4: load boot code   ( select boot file from tftp server sx300_boot-13506.rfb and click copy, please look at picture 3 )

step 5: command

# copy boot tftp://192.168.1.101/sx300_boot-13506.rfb     ( all you need to do type copy boot tftp://192.168.1.101/press right button in your mouse and you will see file name show command )

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now new boot code is load it!

change firmware

step 1: load firmware  ( select firmware from tftp server sx300_fw-13558.ros and click copy, Please look at picture 4 )

step 2: command

# copy tftp://192.168.1.101/sx300_fw-13558.ros image  ( all you need to do type copy tftp://192.168.1.101/press right button in your mouse and you will see file name show command )

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now new firmware load

step 3: show bootvar ( look for the new firmware version in image-1 or image-2, in my case it is image-1, please look at picture 5 )

step 4: command

# boot system image-1

# wr mem

# reload

all commanf withought explane

#show version

#show bootvar

#copy boot tftp://192.168.1.101/sx300_boot-13506.rfb

#copy tftp://192.168.1.101/sx300_fw-13558.ros image

#show bootvar

#boot system image-1

#wr mem

#reload

Thanks,

Moh

Dintid6414
Level 1
Level 1

I have a similar problem.

I'm running:

I guess I have to downgrade firmware, then upgrade bootloader and finally upgrade firmware to latest build. Is this correct?

I just have one major question: how do I upgrade Bootloader. I can see I need to do it using ssh or similar, but is there a guide somewhere?

I do have a CCNA, so understand networking, but never used ssh on my SG300 and never upgrade anything using CLI.

It's probably too late to help you with this answer. As of today you post has been up for 3 months+.

This may help someone else.

I upgrade an SG300-28P (Nice switch - would love a 2960-48-POE though.). This switch is in my home and works very well. I'm hoping someday they come out with a 2 PORT 10GBe uplink version :)

1. Make a backup of your config (just in case ... and CYA)

1. I upgraded the firmware using the web interface (.ros) file.

2. Apply or Activate and reboot

3. Your switch should reboot just fine.

4. To install the boot load (.rfb) you must use a TFTP server ...not sure why this is so.

If you don't have one - I suggest using TFTPF32 or 64bit version. I don't like the solarwind goons.

5. Hopefully you have some past history using FTP. It's really simple just stick the file into the upload/download folder of the TFTP server and you should be good to go.

6. Cisco SG WEB interface > Administration>File Managment> TFTP .... when you select TFTP the radio button for the "BOOT" fw is now available. Just type in the name of the file and it should load the boot firmware.

7. After you are done - reboot the switch. It will take 2-5 minutes to finish (at least mine did) ... all my settings including Radius were preserved.... it went pretty smooth.

Hope this helps someone ...

Heya Waltercoria.

I did find a solution.

Firstly: Internet Explorer and cisco just doesn't work well. Not even just for this forum here. This is actually what causes the most troubles for me.

I rarely ever configure using console as I only have an SG200 and an SG300 here at home, and just can't remember the commands I don't use all the time.

So. I downgraded firmware using Google Chrome.

For TFTP server, I used Open TFTP from here: http://tftp-server.sourceforge.net/
Very simple and easy to use

It was your step 6 I had trouble figuring out when I wrote my previous post

"Cisco SG WEB interface > Administration>File Managment> TFTP .... when you select TFTP the radio button for the "BOOT" fw is now available. Just type in the name of the file and it should load the boot firmware."

Walter,

Your instructions helped me update my SG200-26 using TFTP for both the firmware and boot loader, and the process you described worked perfectly. 

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X