Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

SG300 Firmware Failure

Every time I try to load firmware via HTTP/HTTPS to the SG300 I get an invalid file error.  I've reboot and factory defaulted with no luck.  Has anyone ran into this before?

• Small Business Switches
4 REPLIES
Silver

Do you have an RS232(Serial)

Do you have an RS232(Serial) Console Cable? You should've had that cable when you purchased the device

If you have, connect it to the SG300. Make sure to set the correct settings on your terminal software

Baud Rate: 9600      bps
Parity: None     
Data Bits: 8         bits
Stop Bit: 1         bits
Flow ctrl: None 

We will try to capture the boot process and the POST of the device
1. Before turning the device off, verify if you can get console prompts
2. Now turn off your device
3. Set your terminal software to log all messages
4. Turn on your device

Observe the bootup process of the device to see if there is any problem with it during powering on

If you need help post the results here.

Rate or Mark as Answer helpful posts :)

The SF / SG line of switches

The SF / SG line of switches I believe all use a built in browser application to manage or configure the switch. I do not believe any of the switches in the SF/ SG use RS-232 port. At least my SG200-18 Gigabit  does not come with a serial port.

The most likely cause is that you are not following the firmware upgrade path as jbattist pointed out.

here is a link to the SG 300 Firmware update process the last link on the page is the one you want I think.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/small-business-300-series-managed-switches/products-release-notes-list.html     

If you can provide the part number for the switch you have and any specific error messages I may be able to provide more information.

Silver

Hi Mark, You are wrong, note

Hi Mark, 

You are wrong, note that some SGs the especially the 24 ports above have console ports on them

We have implemented several SG 300 switches with console ports on them and refer to tthe quick start guide of SG300 and go to chapter 4 and you'll see a console port at the back of the switch :P

I have attached an image excerpt from that guide

Yes, SMBs switches rely more on GUI, but note that some SMBs (mostly 24 ports above or devices with 19inch/1U size and above) have console ports at the back of their chassis

Hello csteen,       Sorry the

Hello csteen,

Sorry the switch is not performing as expected.  What is the firmware and boot code that is currently installed?  If you are attempting to move up to 1.4.1.03 firmware, The switch would have to be on boot code 1.3.5.06.  If it is not, then the switch should not allow you to upgrade the firmware on an unsupported boot code.  If the switch is not on this boot code, try upgrading the boot code first using TFTP, then try to upgrade the firmware.. The proper boot code comes in the ZIP file for the latest firmware. Hope this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies